Someone Else

Keefe stood outside Havenfield, watching for Grady. He hailed Sophie, "All clear?"

She gave him a thumbs up from under her bed.

Today was one of those days Grady was suspicious of Keefe, and didn't want him anywhere near Sophie, but this was an important meeting he had to attend.

Thumping sounded behind him.

Keefe turned and glared at Ro, who waw tapping her foot impatiently on the ground. "Hunkyhair, I have to come with you. Be aware I'm going to be noisy."

Sophie laughed, but shook her head at Ro.

Ro shrugged, "If you say so, Blondie."

Sophie, who was still under her bed as Keefe hailed her again, waited patiently for him to get here.

"Wait, why?" Fitz asked.

"I'm trying to muffle the noise under here, so Grady doesn't hear. And so he doesn't know." She stared at the Imparter, "Hi."

"I'm right next to the T-Rex! See? Hi Verdi!" Keefe smiled up at the neon T-Rex as Ro facepalmed.

ROAAAAAAAAAARRRRRR

Keefe yelped and dove behind a tree. "Did Grady hear her?"

"I'm pretty sure, yeah." Sophie slid deeper under her bed and whispered, "I'm sending Biana to distract him!"

Keefe gave her a thumbs up and turned off the Imparter.

Sophie waved for Biana to go find Verdi before Grady could. So Biana levitated out of the window and ran towards Verdi.

"Hey, Verdi," she said, slowing down when she saw Keefe, "we're going to get you some food, okay?"

The T-Rex grumbled in agreement and followed her.

Sophie glimpsed Grady narrow his eyes at Biana but shrugged it off. He went back to doing what he was doing. Sophie smirked and waited for Keefe to hail her again.

After about five minutes, the door handle turned. Sophie got out from under her bed and opened the door, hugging the person, "You're safe!"—

"Hey kiddo, did you hear Verdi?" Grady asked, looking down at her with a confused expression.

Sophie flushed red and said, "oh yeah, I did, Biana was out there. Just in case. You know..."

"Usually Linh does that?" He looked at Linh as Sophie released him.

"This time, Biana insisted," she said convincingly.

"Ah." He looked back at Sophie. "Did you hug me because you missed me? I'm always here."

Sophie laughed nervously. "Er, no, I thought you were someone else."

"Who?" Grady looked around. Sophie silently hoped he wouldn't notice.

Then, as if there was some sort of cue he had, Keefe tumbled right into the room.

"Were you waiting for this someone else?" Grady asked, nodding to Keefe, who looked like he was about to run away.

"Uh...yeah?" Sophie grinned shyly. "We sort of need him for our...meeting."

"Why are you going to hug him!" he yelled, glaring at Keefe.

"Warm welcome? You don't like him. And he was sneaking into here."

Grady turned around and grumbled things under his breath, steam running out of his ears. Sophie could have sworn she heard a train horn noise.

Keefe looked up from the ground, "Foster?"

Sophie curled a strand of hair behind her ear, yanking out an eyelash, "Yeah?"

"Can you hug me now?" Keefe asked, using his puppy-dog eyes.

Everyone laughed but Fitz, who looked unimpressed.

Sophie yanked Keefe to his feet and hugged him, "You're safe!"