Flirtation Makes Winning Easy

-no content warnings-

After I had finally made it back to my common room (with no further unpleasant interruptions), I got dressed as well as I could, though lifting my arms above my head was so painful Cho had to help me slip my fitted charcoal sweater over my head. I opted for a pair of well-loved, loose black jeans that my sweater tucked into at the waist and sturdy black boots that Cho also had to help me put on. After we were both dressed, we sat on the big couch in front of the fire in the common room.

"I'm so happy you're alright, Lainy. I don't know what I would do if--" Cho stopped, her throat thick with tears.

My eyes widened and I grabbed her hand. "Don't be silly. You can't get rid of me that easily," I joked, though I understood why she was upset. I hadn't let myself think about what the reality of the situation could've been, about the fact that I could've easily joined the growing numbers of Hogwarts students that lost their lives playing a school sport.

She smiled, though her eyes still held tears. "I know, I know. We just were all so scared. I'm sorry I didn't come visit you last night, too."

I didn't even need a reason from her as to why she stayed away. I knew if she had been able to, she would've come.

Wouldn't she?

I just waved my hand, as if to say it was alright, and she leaned her head on my shoulder.

"I love you, Lainy."

"I love you, too. Even though I can hear your stomach rumbling all the way up here."

Cho smacked my knee, and we made our way down to the Great Hall for breakfast.

I hadn't seen Harry since the night before, and though I would never admit it, as we entered the hall, I glanced around to see if I could see his mop of jet-black hair sitting anywhere. My shoulders slumped slightly when I didn't spot him, but I followed Cho to where she found an open spot. We ate, talking quietly, and once we were finished, we spent the rest of the day lounging around in the soft green grass of the grounds.

Monday marked the first full week of classes, and I was already dreading my Potions lesson later with Slytherin. Luckily, Hermione and Harry had it with me as well, as so few people actually passed that portion of their O.W.L.s last year. My first few classes passed with ease, the workload already piling high, but it was nice to get back into the swing of things. Ron and I spent nearly all of McGonagall's class messing around, giggling as we saw the other students attempt to turn their cups into a variety of poorly misshapen ravens. After lunch, I made my way through the crowded hallways down to the dungeon, my unbound hair bouncing around me as I walked. By the time I finally pushed through all the people and got to the classroom, the only open seat was next to Malfoy, that foul git.

Harry and Hermione both looked up as I walked in, and they mouthed that they were sorry as I made my way to the back of the class to sit by Malfoy. I made a disgusted face, and Harry let out a laugh he tried to cover with a loud cough.

He looked at me with disdain as I set my bag down. "Piss off, moron. I don't want to deal with you today," He grumbled, looking rather annoyed.

"Likewise Malfoy, but it's the only seat left, so I guess you'll just have to act like a big boy and deal with it." I responded.

"If I had known I'd be stuck with you all term, I wouldn't have bothered saving your fucking life," Malfoy muttered under his breath, angrily taking out his parchment and jet-black quill, slamming them on the table. "What a fucking waste of my time."

I winced slightly at the sound, his words sinking in my gut. "Maybe you shouldn't have then, Malfoy," I shot back. "Grow up."

Harry looked over from two tables up and gave me an apologetic face. My heart fluttered at his messy hair and slightly crooked tie, and I just shook my head and gave him a small smile in return.