Holding Grudges Tends to Be Easier Than Finding Forgiveness

Things had nearly returned to normal, though I was still avoiding Cho at all costs and she had made no effort to apologize or make amends. It had been a week since I had hit Malfoy, since he had wiped that tear off my cheek, and he hadn't said a word to me. He hadn't even attempted to get back at me for hitting him, which made me more anxious with every passing day.

Maybe that was his goal.

Though Hermione and I had made up, I had only gone so far as to say a quick hello to Cedric if I passed him in the corridor, and Ron and I only made occasional, fleeting conversation in McGonagall's class. I was still avoiding Harry. I told myself it was purely out of anger, but I knew that it was really that I was scared of what he might say, even though Hermione had told me he hadn't moved on. Not that there was much to move on from.

It was one kiss; it didn't last five seconds. Why should it mean anything to him?

It meant so much to me.

I was quickly, quietly making my way out of Charms and to my next class out on the grounds with Hagrid when I heard an all too familiar voice shout: "Adler, wait up!"

I whirled around, my heart secretly hoping it was who I thought it was. Harry's ebony hair flew through the crowd, his steps long and wild as he bumped into numerous students, a few of which threw him dirty glances as he passed. Reaching me, he skidded to a stop, bending over to catch his breath before speaking.

Harry's emerald eyes shone, his cheeks flush with activity, and he had a piece of hair that was brushing his forehead that I had to restrain myself from brushing back. "Elaine, holy shit," He panted. "I've been looking for you. I've tried meeting you after your classes for two days now, but you're always too fast!" He gulped down a deep breath. "Merlin's beard. Anyways, I need to talk to you."

I frowned, pursing my lips. I didn't know if this was a good idea, but I stayed silent as an indicator that he should continue, too painfully curious to interupt him.

"I'm so sorry about what happened with Cho. I had no idea she could ever say those things. When I found out, I---I was so angry," Harry punctuated the word with a clench of his fist. "And--and I didn't talk to you because I didn't know where we stood and I didn't know if you'd even want to be around me and I didn't want you to feel like I was forcing anything on you and--"

I cut him off. "Potter, shut it."

Shock spread across his features, his nose wrinkling underneath his wire glasses. "I get it. Sort of. I stayed away because I was sure that..." I looked down at my shoes, the ground, anywhere but his eyes that were searching my face. "I just thought that you all thought what Cho told me. Maybe it was unfair of me, but I figured it was less painful to end things on my own terms, y'know?" I spoke in the most even tone I could, though recounting that night, I felt like breaking down.

"Elaine..." Harry sighed, stepping closer so that he could grab my cold hand with his warm one. "I could never think any of that. I get why you keep secrets; I do, too. I don't give a shit that the Hat wanted to put you in Slytherin, because...because it wanted to put me in there as well," He confessed, his cheeks warm.

My face twisted with confusion. "Really? You?" I asked.

Harry laughed, a soft, musical sound that set my heart racing. "Yeah, me. I had to beg it to put me into Gryffindor. Ron and I had just become friends, and I didn't want to lose him. My point is," he continued, lifting my chin with his pointer finger until my gaze was level with his. "My point is, Elaine, I have feelings for you, and not because of any other reason than you. Your heart, your soul, your laugh, the way you squish your nose when someone does something gross, the way you see the world. Nothing could change that," Harry said softly, and I was sure he could hear my heart beating through my chest.