The Voice

Her hands were clenching the sheets as she sat on her bed. Her chest moved up and down pretty fast, but not as fast as a few minutes ago. She's terrified, unsure what to do. One second there's someone standing at the foot of her bed, and the next there isn't. She had no idea what happened, but she knows what she saw.

She sat on her bed sort of in shock at what just happened. There's a lot of scary shit she's seen in her life, but this topped it all! To add to the icing on the cake, she could not move. What was that? She never experienced that before. It's almost as if something was restraining her from moving. She did not think too much about this, instead she wanted to feel safe. Praying did not do much, because she still felt unsafe.

There's a murderer on the loose and she knows she argued with her father, but she did not want to be alone. She decided that she would slip into his bed, and so she got up to head to his room. She didn't bother taking her phone, because she just wanted to get out of her room. She wondered if she should tell her father what she saw, but how can she explain that? Before entering her dad's room, she noticed the light on downstairs.

She could hear her father's voice talking very low to someone on the phone downstairs. He sounded sleepy. When she was little,  she would easedrop on her parent's conversations, but since she's older, she stopped caring. She instead just walked into her father's room where she knew Clover would be sleeping on the couch.

Indeed, he was. Since yesterday night, her father made Clover sleep in his room for fear of Michael coming and possibly attacking the family. The pocket knife laid on the floor in front of where Clover slept. She climbed into her father's bed and felt more safe than she did in her own room. She had no open windows, and she checked her whole room for the intruder, but no one was there. They couldn't have left the room either because the door had been locked, it's almost as if the figure disappeared into thin air. This terrified Promise, making her think that she was tripping. So, she decided to be alongside her brother and dad for the 2nd night.

Mr. Mcclain stayed downstairs talking on the phone for some time. He talked very low so no one can hear him.

Promise did not feel comfortable sleeping, so she didn't. She instead laid wide awake in bed for about an hour thinking of the party last night. She can still hear the sounds of teens snorting white powder on the kitchen counter, the music, people taking shots, and the list goes on. She started shaking out of nervousness thinking about the party. Thinking about her best friend getting murdered the same place she was in.

Her heart felt heavy, knowing her other half is gone.

*************************************************************************

It is 11am, the next day. Promise has not slept all night, even when her dad eventually came to bed. She laid there, pretending to be asleep so her dad will not talk to her. However, she could not sleep. The "figure" did not appear again, but she still felt unsafe. So, tired and sad, she cuddled up in a blanket and walked to the living room where she sat there thinking.

Her thoughts were interrupted when she looked to her left and saw her empty pill bottle which she has not taken since her last pill months ago. She's supposed to have a refill every month, but she hasn't had one in a long time.

Looking at the pill bottle brought back memories of when she had to get on the pills because she battled with depression  after her mom left the family. The pills helped a lot. Her father actually tried to get her to take more pills this morning after she woke up, but she refused. She hasn't taken the pills in months and she's not going to start now. He keeps extra pills in his room since he's afraid she'll get her hands on them and try to overdose, which she has tried before.