More In Depth

Her heart was racing so fast it felt like it was going to rip out of her chest. Her head was throbbing and her hands were sweaty. Everything seemed to get blurry all around her as her tears would not stop falling. She felt like falling into a ditch and just laying there until everything calmed down.

Everything around her was nothing but noise. People were screaming, cops were heard yelling for people to evacuate the house, and above all this the only sound Promise wanted to hear was not appearing.

She wanted to hear her best friends voice telling her what to do next. She wanted to hear Giselle calming her down, "You are going to be okay, don't panic. Just breathe. We are going to calmly walk down the hallway and leave the house like the police are saying."

However, all she could hear are the sound of shoes running on the hardwood floor, people screaming, people yelling, and sirens. She could see perfectly that in her arms right now is the lifeless body of her best friend. Her hair was tied into a ponytail, which it was not before, Giselle kept it down when they arrived to the party. Her dress and heels were beside the bed in Michael's room. Michael's clothes were on the floor, but there was no Michael in those clothes. He was not inside of the room at all, the only indication that Promise can make that he was ever there were his clothes on the floor from when he took them off, and the smell of his cologne in the air.

The cops should be able to catch him considering his house was the only house separated from the city and there is no where to run. He was the least of Promise's worries right now because she was too focused on the lifeless body of her best friend in her arms right now. How could this have happened? Her best friend of all people, killed? And why Giselle? Why did Promise not know this could have happened to her best friend?

About an hour or so ago, Giselle was alive, calming Promise down as Promise was nervous and very excited and it wasn't just because of the alcohol. Michael had made his grand entrance and Promise was relying on her best friend to help her out. She was super excited the whole night to talk to him, and as drunk as she was, she was ten times more excited.

About an hour or so ago, Promise was sitting on the couch next to a girl with her legs dangling in the air, as drunk as Promise was, maybe even more drunk. Promise was waiting for Giselle to get back from the bathroom, but the bathroom was only down the hall, and it shouldn't take more than five minutes considering there were multiple bathrooms in the house and no lines.

However, Giselle was no where to be found, even when Promise made her way to the dance floor and swerved her hips and flipped her curly brown hair to the sound of the music.

She imagined Michael in front of her, holding her hips as she moved them left to right. Breathing on her neck and whispering how much he wants to be her boyfriend in her ears.  However, all she got were people shoving into her as they tried to walk through the crowd of dancers. The dance floor was big enough for people not to shove into each other, but this particular night accumulated a mass of people. There were people grinding, puking, and Promise thought she saw someone pull out their juul. It was an September night, leaves were changing color, but that did not stop everyone from rushing over to Michael's place.

This is fucking crazy, she thought.

Despite all of this, she could not get the one thing out of her mind. Michael. Michael, everything was about him. From the way that he smiles, to his eyes, to his soft, but sexy voice. He was the man of her dreams and she wanted nothing, but to be with him. While she danced on the dance floor, she recalled how twenty minutes ago she saw her crush make his grand entrance, looking sexier than ever. She replayed the events in her mind so she would not forget it, even tomorrow when she's sober. After Michael made his grand entrance, things went differently than how Promise thought things would occur.