Breathe

POV: Isla Kayle

The moment that everyone in this room have been working towards throughout their lives is here. The planning, stress, studying, and the lack of sleep have been what everyone has known for this year. Today is the moment of high school.

"Isla, are you finished?" Mrs. Greensburg whispered in my ear with her thick Scottish accent, that always managed to make me smile no matter the situation.

"Nearly Mrs." I answered back smoothly.

Truth is I have Finished. I need to be sure that I have written the best answers because this exam determines everything. All the charities, volunteering I have done for the past five years has been leading up to this moment. This exam is the exam that determines how my life will play out. Once I hand over this paper, there will be no turning back. My high school journey will be coming to an end, turning the page to a new chapter of my life.

I glanced at the clock ticking away in the corner of the room, I'm oddly aware of my surrounding, the only sound being my heart as well as the sound of walking in the room. I averted my eyes back on the clock, I didn't have much time left...I needed to turn my paper in. Closing my eyes I took a deep breath and shifted my weight on to my legs, with every step I took, my steps were getting heavier and heavier. What if I get a shit score....my subconscious tried to disturb my thought....no, I won't let you do this, before I knew it I was at the table. Staring at the teacher.

"Uh sir?"

He tiredly raised his eyes to meet mine

"Your name?" he asked examining me while speaking.

"Isla Kayle sir," I replied.

"Hmm...Oh! I see your name, hand in your paper in and you may leave." He answered not taking his eyes off the paper in front of him. I honestly preferred it that way.

"You can give me the paper" He explained as he reached out.

Quickly handing my paper to him, as if it were nothing, the moment the paper left my hands I felt relief I no longer need to worry about this, it was done and over with.

"You can go now, Miss Kayle." The man looked at me.

I nodded and started to walk away from the table, walking towards the door I was getting flashbacks of the memories I've made throughout my years, all the planning that took to get me to this point, it's scary because my teenage years were coming to an end.

Stepping out of the room the cool breeze hit my face, i closed my eyes and took a breath in. I knew I was going to be stressed until I get my results back, but for now I just needed to breathe.

"Earth to Isla? Hello?" a voice said while nudging me on the shoulder, I instantly knew who it was.

"Let me not be on earth, I'm trying to think," I replied.

"Shut up...come one we have to go." My best friend replied as she started to walk in front of me.

Making our way to changing rooms, I picked a stalls and made my way in, closing the door right behind me. putting my bag on the bench, i started to take out my clothes, I'm going to have fun today, I always do. It's been Vivian and Is' tradition to go to the a cafe after doing an important test, its a way for us to relax and have fun after grinding so much.

"Isla are you almost done?" she asked as I heard a door open, meaning she was out and I needed to hurry up

"Just a hang on, I'm almost done," I answered putting my shirt over my head. stuffing my school uniform in my bag I started to make my way out the stall.

"Finally, you were taking forever," Vivian said not lifting her eyes off her phone.

"yeah...yeah whatever" I responded taking out my lipgloss.

There was a huge elephant in the room and its name was 'exam'

"So..." she started off

"I probably did shit" I responded which took her off guard.

"I don't like you attitude, you have too manifest a good outcome." she replied

"Easier said than done."

"You'll be fine, we both will be. Now come on, I need to get out of school." I looked at her with a grin.

It's going to be okay...I reminded my self.

...

You would think after years of going to the same cafe we would know the direction....spoiler alert we don't know. I kept giving the wrong directions to Vivian. Its not like i was intentionally doing it it, blame it on the weird arrow on google maps.

"That took so much longer that it should have, I'm not letting you give directions anymore" she explained

"Its not my fault." I laughed

"Yeah, whatever makes you sleep at night" She answered walking into the cafe.

I giggled and followed behind her. Taking a step in and I already wish I didn't. Sitting not far from the entrance was a group of boys from our rival school the Courtridge Boys. Though our school principals maintain a good relationship, my high school the Northridge Girls and Courtridge boys have never had a good relationship. Trying to one up each other every chance we get, whether thats academic or not. It's a never ending drama between us, some may say its childish while other might justify it.

"Fuck...."

"Just ignore" Vivian hushed.

"I don't think they'll know us" I replied

"Okay smart-ass" She said as she walked to a table close to the boys.

As she did she immediately caught their attention, it was almost like how sharks sense movement in the water. I quickly followed behind and sat.

"Anna and Celia should be here soo-" Vivian started to explain but was interrupted but a deep voice.

"Ladies....how are we doing?" I didn't even need to look up, the cockiness in his voice was dreadful.

"Can we help you?" V asked as she raised her big almond eyes to look at him.

Glancing between the two, I already knew he was only interested in her, which didn't bug me too much since I already didn't like him.

He chuckled "You can help me in many way-" he was started but didn't finish because the two of us bursted in to laughter.

"Like what suck your cock?" V managed to breath out during her laughs.

The guy stood baffled, his big blue eyes he stared at the us in a shocked manner.

"I think now it's the time for you to leave" A voice which I recognised to be Anna say.

"Clearly." The guy said as he walked off.

"I loved everything about that conversation V." Celia said as I got up to hug her hello.

"Same Celia, same."

"Men are another breed." I breathed out. Everyone started to shake their head in agreement.