eighteen

-jennie-

"Go to your room Jen," Jay softly orders.

I stared at him.

"Go," he urges.

"Why can't I stay here?" I frowned.

"You don't have to be involved in this, it's a pretty serious thing."

"I'm not a child," I snapped. I was tired of being treated like one, though I also know he's just looking out for me.

"I know, Nini. But you don't have to exhaust yourself over this. Lisa and I can handle this."

I was just in the kitchen preparing something for them to eat when Jay came to me to say those words.

I looked towards the direction of the living room and saw that Lisa and Mina were still silent while sitting on the couch, a small space in between them. Lisa looked lost in her thoughts, her lips pressed into a thin line.

"I was upset over her cheating on Lisa, you know," Jay sighed, leaning on the kitchen counter beside me. "But Lisa loved her and she was my friend, I couldn't just ignore when I saw her like that. Besides, I'd thought I wouldn't want something like that to  happen to you in the future."

Lisa would never hurt me. Physically and intentionally, at least.

"I don't think they had a proper closure either. I think Lisa might still have some feelings left for her," Jay added. I gripped a glass as I poured water on it before drinking.

I brought down the glass to the table, careful not to look affected by his words. "I don't think so. Lisa looks happier these days."

Jay shook his head with his arms crossed, "They've had a lot of history together, Nini. I even liked Mina at some point, back when they weren't together yet. You don't know how much Lisa fought for her. We almost fell apart because of it but Mina loved her too and I realized they were good for each other. They were so in love back then, I doubt they'd easily forget about each other specially Lisa."

So that's what Lisa was talking about when she said they used to fight a lot before.

When I brought my gaze back to Lisa, she was already staring at me. She didn't seem to mind if Jay catches her staring but I do, so I quickly averted my eyes off her.

"You liked Mina?" I asked, not wanting to dwell on the other things he said.

"Yeah, I mean, who wouldn't right? Even Lisa who wasn't into commitments fell for her, but that was all it was for me," he shrugs.

I remained silent and busied myself, not wanting his words to linger on my mind.

When I finished preparing the sandwiches on the plate with three glasses of orange juice on the tray, he carried it himself then turned to me, as if asking me to follow him. I was taken aback a little but followed right after him.

"Here," he brings the tray down on the table.

Lisa scooted a little closer to Mina, looking up to me as if asking me to sit beside her, so I did.

Momo already told us before that Mina didn't know Lisa and I are together. They left before she even saw Lisa with me that day on the mall.

"I feel like I'm only wasting your time," Mina sighs, looking down on the floor, "I wouldn't report him."

Lisa's grip on her knee tightened, her knuckles turning white. She really cares for Mina a lot and I don't want to put meaning on it. I'm not a child, I know better than to be jealous when Lisa is just being protective... of everyone. Sure Lisa must still care for her, but that doesn't mean she still has feelings left for her ex.