[8] lapis

Don't forget to vote and comment and share the story if you like my updates. :)

lapis: symbol of the night sky

Soft jazz floated in the air, roaming around the spacious walls of the open space, lightly buried underneath the commotion. Men and women, in expensive attires gathered together. Some danced, swaying and intertwining their bodies. Some laughed together. While some attempted to speak over the noise. As if there were thousand little parties inside one big one. I observed some notable famous faces. They looked different in person. More real. But not less flamboyant.

Mr. Athens clad in a white suit with slightly disheveled hair greeted us over the prevailing chatter. And I liked that. It reduced any chances of him lingering behind to continue our meaningless small talk. And the amount of small talk I had been making since I had stepped inside the premises was uncomfortable and countless. My jaw hurt from smiling at nobody and everybody.

Emma downed her second glass, all smiles, busying herself in conversations with whoever stopper her way. The amount of social energy Emma harvested in her body was commendable and extremely shocking. It was an honor to be invited to a party arranged by the Adams corp. but everything had a limit. And I had crossed mine in socializing.

The place was crowded and the side slit of my gown helped my skin breathe. The crimson satin fabric lightly hugged my skin and I found myself touching it often to retrieve some softness amidst such extravagance.

Pretense was exhausting. It was false a cloak of demeanor and often it weighed too heavy on my shoulders. I had felt the sudden incompetence in myself, while everyone indulged, I stood in a corner. I made my way through the crowd, before a truck of unnecessary, non-sense and absolute garbage self conscious had the chance to eat my brain.

I yanked a drink from the trays, walking through the never-ending area of the banquet hall. Dim lights adorned it all across the walls, making it hard to recognize anyone unless you stood too close them. The only positive about the place was whoever had planned the floors of The Mortgz drew out a hell lot of balconies. Everywhere. It was a good plan to keep the air flowing especially if the crowd was large. But too many balconies often come as distractions. I did not understand what was the point of the high number.

I turned to my left that led to, god knows, which balcony. But it served the purpose.  A cool breeze touched my exposed skin, relieving it from the rush. Heat. And the sudden turmoil.

The cityscape twinkled as it led in front of me, carrying lives in its broad ever stretching arms. Looking down from the thirtieth floor, I could hardly differentiate anyone from anything. Anything from anything. Every detail weaved to form a single perfect knot. It took away all the imperfections that could be caught by close scrutiny. The height was frightening and something about the fright was soothing.

Little shuffling reached my ears, as I turned to see the distraction.

Distractions had never looked so beautiful. So tasteful.

Leaning against the wall with hands drawn inside his pockets, stood Luca La Ferrero.

Softer shades of lazuli lining the dark sky melted with the warm pale white lights, making his skin shine, ever so gently, like an ocean after the sun sets. His lazy eyes roamed over my face, trailing down my body, taking me in, before coming up to rest on my face one more time.

"You are not planning to jump from here, yes?" His words echoed, in the naked silence, uplifting the symphony of the barren place.

I turned away to look back at the cityscape as the scent of soaked grass on soil filled the previously cologne invaded area. "What if I am?"