[16] crystal

Please vote and comment and share the story if you happen to like the updates. :)

crystal: calm

One thread with another.

One point with another.

That's how life connected.

There were certain points where life seemed to slip through your fingers but a sudden touch, one word or a light gesture pulled you back in under a safe shelter.

But sometimes they weren't enough. Sometimes nothing was enough.

Nights like these my mind wandered off to places that only brought unexplained pain. Places I didn't want to visit anymore. But there was a weird pleasure in the pain of nostalgia. They soothed and trampled my world at the same time.

I shifted in my bed and the arm snaking around my waist tightened. Not wanting to wake him up, I wiggled my hand out and blindly searched for my phone on the bedside table. My fingers touched the sleek metal and I dragged it, bringing it close to my face.

5:29.

I removed the strong hands, unwrapping from my body, and moved to sit, leaning on the headrest. Sleep was just another distraction and sometimes I couldn't afford that privilege. 

I would often dream of being caged inside the bars of illusion as I screamed to wake myself up, this isn't the reality, Char. 

Even in the arms of Morpheus, I knew it wasn't going to last yet I lingered around for some more. That place was a little satisfying but the trance broke with a pulsating heartbeat telling myself, this is how it truly is, the reality. 

I wondered what would happen if one day we didn't wake up even after shouting at ourselves to do so. Would we be caged in the prison of our dreams forever? Would people think we left in peace, in the middle of a porcelain sleep? Because they wouldn't hear the clanking of the chains behind the bars, restricting us to come back to life. No one else would know like they didn't know most of our thoughts, our secrets, and maybe they did not even know who we truly were. 

"Baby?" A throaty voice cut my trance and I bounced back to the present.

Chase flailed his hands pulling my body down back to the warmth of the sheets. "Why are you up," He rasped, looking around, the depth of his voice lined with sleep. "this early?"

His forehead was lost beneath the mess of his unruly curls and his droopy eyes struggled to keep themselves open from the evident sleep swirling inside them. "Get back." His fingers wrapped around my thigh, trying to bring me down.

"I need to finish some work, Chase. Can't be late today." Waving the lit phone, I reminded him.

His fingers made invisible circles, soothing my nerves and I locked my fingers in his hair, massaging his scalp. A gruff groan left his lips as he shifted on his stomach to look up to me. "You are going today?" His brow perked in question.

I nodded, pushing his hair back. "You should get up too." I plopped down the bed, removing myself from the warmth of my bed and of Chase's embrace.

"Stay for some more, Char." He pleaded, his voice muffling the words into the softness of the pillows.

I crouched down to find my shirt when I noticed my clothes were messily entangled with his. "How did they even get tangled?" I exasperated looking at the mess. They were so tightly intertwined that I had to pull them apart almost ripping my fragile thin fabric.