[23] forest green

please vote if you happen to like the updates :)

Thick arterial fluid painted the floor scarlet.

The man's face remained wrapped inside the black fabric of his ski mask. Dead and static eyes peeked out, wide open, looking particular nowhere.

Even in death, he remained unrecognized.

I took a step forward.

I wanted to see his face. I always did.

The thrill of what rested behind the black mask had haunted me. Bending down, I touched him. Cold. My fingers trembled. I had to get out of here fast. But first I had to see him. My fingers trembled as they folded the fabric a little and the cold skin sheathing his dead flesh touched my warm palm.

His lips were a shade of dark brown. Rotten.

I had left him like this for too many days. I shouldn't have. I shouldn't have. But it wasn't my fault. The bullet hole on his forehead had thick dark clot and dark brown flies made their home inside it. I pulled the fabric a little more. A little more was all I needed.

I did a small prayer, knowing nobody was listening to them. But faith was blind. And I had been too. For too long.

Every corner of my body felt dry— my throat, my eyes, my fingers. My head would burst any moment now, but still I gripped the hem of the fabric, pulling it with a sharp yanking and —

I shot up. Chest undulant, fingers gripping bedsheets, fear spiraling.

I was in my bed. I was all right.

Just another nightmare.

Sudden realization thundered.

Luca.

I shuffled quickly, discarding the sheets away, rubbing my swollen eyes, I sprinted my way out of the open door.

A pang of pain stung my lower abdomen, again. It had been there for months now. I rubbed my palm over the area trying to ease the pain as I hurried towards the kitchen.

The kitchen was empty, left alone without any trace— like last night hadn't even existed.

Luca had shifted me to my bed before leaving.

I steadied myself to check the main door only to find it locked. I whacked the doorknob a few times and in haste rambled through the belongings stacked up on the side table to find my pair of keys.

My fingers grazed the cylindrical cold metal and I pulled it out. My keys. Putting it inside the hole, I turned it and the door opened smoothly.

A deep sigh left me— one that had swelled my lungs from the minute I had opened my eyes. I wore a pair of worn-out slippers, that were lying around the corner without any care, one that once belonged to Emma.

I locked the door behind me and walked along the length of the corridors. I hugged my arms closer due to the sharp fangs of the cold that prickled my dry skin.

My breaths quivered because of the lack of extra clothing that the weather had demanded. The light sun rays filled one corner of the corridor and I followed the warmth. I gripped the railings and took a step closer to observe the life beneath. People were rushing out of the complex for work and our common mailman rushed in, doing his work.

"Charlotte!"

I turned around, letting out a cold breath trying to warm myself.

"Good morning." A smile formed across my face, greeting uncle Jay who neared me with Rory. Rory wasn't tied to the leash so the little spawn took the freedom to sauntered towards me, panting and wagging his tail.