Chapter 1 - Dreams and Letters

Sofia thought that she was inside a dream. But she couldn't be sure.

There was something unusually fluid about her movements. At the same time, she was still on the Invisible Island, just as she had been the last moment she had been awake.

She was walking through grassland, and the wind was picking up as if to remind her that she ought to be on a ship soon. She was so tall that she kept bumping into the clouds. They were surprisingly solid and unsurprisingly wet.

It took her a while to realize that Antibe was walking next with her, but once she did, she didn't question it. Sofia vaguely recalled having said goodbye to her, but that must have been another time.

"I almost didn't notice you," she said to Antibe.

"I have been walking very quietly," the ancient sorceress replied.

Sofia nodded as if that explained it.

"I am sad to leave the island so soon," she said. She must be in a dream, she figured, because expressing her feelings came so easily. She thought it best to take advantage of that rare occurrence. "I didn't want to stay here, even though it is nice and peaceful," she admitted, as much to herself as to Antibe. "But it would have been a welcome break. And I wanted to learn more about myself from you."

Antibe smiled a translucent smile.

"Usually I would say that you don't need another person to learn about yourself. But in your case, it is different."

"Because I am a sorceress?" Sofia asked. For the first time, the word came out without difficulty.

"Yes. And because you have been thrown into events that are bigger than yourself."

"I am not alone."

"That is true. But your friends will have challenges of their own. They will be there for you, and you will be there for them, but sometimes, that won't be enough."

"Didn't you say you don't know the future?"

"I am a good guesser."

"You might still be guessing wrong."

"I might," Antibe said. "I only wish you to be forewarned."

They came to a halt on a cliff. The ocean extended endlessly in front of them. Sofia wondered if she would be able to fly. Or if Antibe would. Certainly, it wouldn't be a big deal to Antibe, and one day, it wouldn't be for herself.

"I have so many things to learn," she said. "I don't know where to start."

"The same way you go about learning anything. You start small. And you don't let yourself become discouraged when you fail."

Sofia nodded. Then, she listened intently. There was a sound coming from far away that didn't fit in with where she was.

"I think someone is calling me."

"So they are."

"Is this my dream, or yours?"

Antibe smiled. It looked melancholic. "Does it matter?"

"I already said goodbye to you, didn't I?"

"Mother insisted. There is always a price to pay with her. As you know and will continue to know."

"Will you come and see me again?"

"I will. If you let me."

"- Sofia? - SOFIA!"

Sofia startled awake.