Chapter 2 - Consequences

"Dorian is the oldest of the Nine Kingdoms, as they will not fail to remind you. It has never been successfully overtaken by any other kingdom. This too is a fact they enjoy repeating. They are quite enamored with their historicity. Stepping into Dorian is like stepping into an ancient tableau where nothing must be moved from where it was placed hundreds of years ago."

Mother seemed amused by her description.

"It sounds like they are right to be proud, then," Sofia said. She wasn't sure if she meant that, but she wanted to say something that would contradict Mother.

Annoyingly, she didn't succeed in angering Mother.

"Let me know if you still think that way after you've been there," Mother replied with a wink.

She gave Orì a final distracted hug and got up from the bed.

"You should get some sleep, my dear children. Tomorrow is going to be a long day."

There was a heavy silence. The unknown of the coming day and days (and probably weeks and months) was descending uncomfortably on them. Sensing that Sofia's and Orì's pride would prevent them from making any inquiries, Ami decided to step in.

"What are we going to do in Dorian?" he asked. "And afterwards?"

"Why, you'll find out when you get there," Mother replied softly.

Ami shook his head.

"No," he said quietly. Nothing else.

Mother looked at him for a moment. Sofia and Orì held their breath. Mother pressed her teeth together, and they didn't know how she would react.

The Bayla stepped off Ami's lap and made a tentative movement towards Mother. It stopped and pressed its head onto the floor, peeking up at Mother, and growled.

That broke the tension.

Mother laughed.

"What wonderful creatures Baylas are!"

For a moment, it appeared as if she would stretch out her hand to pet it, but then she thought better of it. She went to the door and opened it.

At the last instant, she turned around.

"Four of Master Zbgi's disciples will accompany you. They will ensure your safety. And make sure you don't get any ideas about running off again. Before the big games, Dorian holds a weaving ceremony, commemorating the previous games and the events from the ten years in between."

"And what are we to -" Ami started, but Mother broke him off, no longer willing to be directed by any of the children.

"You will serve as a reminder to Queen Adehe that there are more things for her to consider than her prestige."

And with those words, Mother turned and closed the door behind her.

Sofia looked at Orì whose eyes were glued to the door.

"She didn't say goodbye to me," she said.

"I'm sure she will tomorrow."

"Yes. Yes, of course."

But Orì still looked puzzled.

"Is there really nothing written on the letters?" Sofia asked, as much out of curiosity as to change the subject.

Orì leafed through them again, this time more carefully. She shook her head.

"Nothing."

Again, it was Ami who put the meaning into words that the girls could not yet fully grasp.