Chapter 10 - A Secret Conversation

They went back towards the throne room, but then right past its entrance. Sofia followed the disciple with the amber-colored eyes, wondering what it was she wanted to show her or tell her. Finally, they stopped in a hidden corner of the corridor next to a window with a stone indention for sitting. The disciple drew a circle around them whose purpose Sofia didn't understand.

"Privacy," she said and motioned Sofia to sit on one of two window seats, and she did the same. They sat there looking at each other.

"My name is Dafne," the disciple said after a moment.

Sofia had never considered asking any of the disciples for their names or where they came from or anything that would make them out as individual beings. She suddenly felt intensely guilty about that.

"Don't feel bad," Dafne said. "We're not meant to be relatable. If we were, we could not do what we do."

"So, you'd rather have people be afraid of you?"

"It is not what I want. It is how things are."

"There's not one way how things are. Everything can change."

Sofia was startled to hear herself talk in that manner. But her conversation with Dafne didn't strike her as exactly official. Therefore, there could hardly be any repercussions for what she said. Or could there be? Anyway, Sofia was tired of having to tread around everybody's conflicting interests. It was like wading through a swamp, never knowing where the next sinkhole was lurking for her to trip and fall into.

"In Nihon," she continued, "everything is supposed to be possible. And still, people follow the silliest rules as if it was impossible to do otherwise. It makes no sense."

Dafne smiled slightly and nodded her head as if Sofia had confirmed something she had been suspecting. Still, she chose to contradict her.

"And yet, you have seen very little of Nihon. And even less of the Other Side. There is more to people than the obvious. To many of them, at least."

"What more is there to you, then?" Sofia asked.

Dafne nodded slowly. Sofia thought she was probably taking a risk, and that she wasn't sure if she should really do it. But she didn't feel like making things easier on her. She stared into her mysterious eyes as if to say, it's your turn now.

"I am one of Master Zbgi's disciples," Dafne said. "I have been with him since I was eight years old. First, I hated him. Then, I loved him. Now, I pity him."

"Pity him?" It was a strange sentiment to show towards Master Zbgi.

"He is scared."

"Of what? Or - who?"

"Mother is very powerful. It is all but impossible to free yourself from her influence once she has gotten her hooks into you. As you can see with your friend Orì. But being her daughter, maybe it is easier for her because she will always remain her daughter. For all the others, there is nothing left once they deny her."

"Do you deny her?"

A painful smile came over Dafne's face.

"Not explicitly. But one day, I will have to. I am not looking forward to that day, even though she was never very interested in me."

"Why not?"

Dafne's features hardened.

"Lack of talent," she said, matter-of-factly. "Mother doesn't forgive having her expectations unmet."