Chapter 3 - Inaan's Story

Inaan didn't have a melancholic nature. On their second day on the ocean, he was already playing with the Bayla with great delight. The Bayla liked him as well, but it didn't react to him with the same abandon as it did with its three other friends.

Still, Ami was a little jealous and the girls teased him for it.

"I can't believe I have never even seen a Bayla before," Inaan said, coming up for breath from rough-housing with a lion-like Bayla who had finally vanquished him by rolling around him in snake-form.

The Bayla hissed in playful triumph and flitted away to Ami to be petted.

Ami and Sofia nodded with equal amazement, but Orì couldn't hold herself back.

"Of course, you've never seen one. Baylas are extremely rare and extremely shy. Not even I had seen one."

Inaan rolled his eyes. Even after such a short time, he had started butting heads with Orì. He still blamed her for what had happened to the island and, also, Orì had quickly returned to being Orì.

"I forgot that her highness has been everywhere and seen everything."

He wanted to say more, but Sofia shot him a warning look. It was peculiar even to her, but for all her criticizing Orì, and even her belligerence towards her at times, Sofia wouldn't let anybody else say a single word against her. She couldn't explain it, but it had become almost a reflex. Orì had noticed the hypocrisy, but hadn't commented on it yet. Partly because she was enjoying Sofia's protectiveness, partly because she was waiting for the right moment to bring it up with triumph.

"I know they are rare," Inaan said in a more conciliatory voice. "But according to the stories, most of them have chosen the oceans as their element. And I have come across some spectacular beings."

"Maybe one of them was a Bayla and you didn't know," Sofia said, her mind immediately filled with mysterious water-beings.

Her eyes met Orì's and they both broke into a smile as they realized their thoughts were much the same.

"Tell us," Sofia said.

"Please," Ami added.

"But no sailor's yarn," Orì warned.

And so, Inaan told his story. In fact, he didn't have to be asked twice.

"I guess you could say that I am from Illyah, since that is where my parents are from. But I was born on a ship, and I have always considered whatever hull carries me over the waters my home. That and - the Invisible Island. But it is no more. So, I guess I am returning to my original habitat.

My parents had real sea-legs. They were more or less useless when we were on land. Most of all, they just didn't like it. I prefer the sea as well, but I don't mind the land. So, even when I was little, it was my task to take care of things when we were on land.

We earned our living - and I really have to say We because I was very much part of the team, from as far back as I can remember. We earned our living as hired ship captains. My parents never fulfilled their dream of owning their own ship. Not that I know of, anyway. And I don't expect I'll ever find out.

Well.

Most of the time, we carried wares from one port to another, between one kingdom and another. Sometimes officially, other times - let's say, other times it was better to remain unseen. Our cargo differed. I remember one time..."

"Wait a moment," Orì interrupted. "Were you guys smugglers?"

"Well..." Inaan said. He looked evasively.