Little girl - part 1

Mini series

1983

GEORGE'S POV

Like every morning, I decide to take a stroll through a nearby park like I usually do. I kiss my wife's cheek and leave.

It's 8 am on a hot summer's day, like always, there's nobody around and I'm all alone. I love nature. It's peaceful and quiet.

I walk over to the pond to go sit on the big rock that's half submerged in the water and half outside of it.
However, i see that this time, the spot, the spot that i see as my own, is already occupied.

"Hello." I say to the girl.

She has long dark brown, almost black hair.
She turns around.

"Oh. Hi."

She has hazel eyes with pink plump lips and light freckles. She is beautiful.

"May i join you?" I ask, nearing the rock.

She scoots over.

"Sure. I always enjoy some company." She says in a bulky accent.

I close my eyes and bathe in the sunlight. I hear the girl next to me humming a tune while she's scribbling away at a a piece of paper.

"Wow. You have talent." I say.

"Thank you." She giggles.

She continues to draw.

I look at her as she's working. Her tongue is slightly hanging out of her mouth and i think it looks adorable.

"I've never seen you here before." I say.

"I know. This is the first time i'm here."

"How come?"

"I'm from france. I'm here in Henley-on-Thames to visit my aunt." She explains.

"Huh." I say.

"I like to explore nature a lot. And i know there's a lot of that here. So i decided to make a quick stop at this park before i went over to my aunt."

"And then you just...draw?" I ask, fascinated.

"Yes. I like to capture moments on paper so that i will never forget them."

"You know there's cameras for that right?" I chuckle.

"I know. But a drawing is something special, something personal. I believe that drawing something creates a memory of what you draw and of the moment you draw it."

I look over at the drawing and see that she's drawn the rock we are sitting on. A man is sitting on top of it.

"Is that me?"

For the first time since the conversation started, she looked up at me again.

"It is." She smiles broadly.

She looks down at her watch.

"What's your name?" She asks me.

"George."

She scribbles my name on the paper and then packs her supplies up in her bag.

She hands me the drawing.

"Well. I've got to go now."

I look down at the drawing. It's beautiful.

"That way you'll always have something to remember me by." She says.

She turns around. "Bye now."

Flabbergasted, I look at her as she's walking away.

"Wait! I never caught your name!"

She looks back at me.

"It doesn't matter!" She laughs before vanishing.

-

I walk back home and can't help but feel some kind of way. I keep looking at the drawing and keep thinking of the special encounter i had with the girl.

Carefully, i fold the drawing up and put it in my pocket. For some reason, i don't want my wife to know it exists.

As i arrive back home, my wife swings open the door.

"George come on, we've got company." She cheers.

I raise my brows and walk inside.

"George, this is my cousin Nina."

My eyes widen.
Nina flashes me a big smile and my heart rate immediately picks up.

"She's my cousin from france and she'll be staying with us for the summer!"