Chapter 4

Warnings: Strong language, hurt, angst

After Loki had said she was 'gone' he just completely shut down. Tony tried to ask who he was talking about but he wouldn't say a word.

Tony didn't know what else to do except to get Thor. The god of Thunder rushed to get there when Jarvis had informed him of Loki's distress.

"I don't know what to do", Tony said as soon as he saw Thor walk in the room.

Thor didn't seem to know either. He stared at his Brother in shock. He had never seen Loki cry except from when they were very small children. He hasn't even cried the time Loki had broken his arm when he fell from a tree in the woods. He wouldn't allow himself to show weakness.

That's how Thor knew something was horribly wrong.

"Open the cell", Thor told Tony who decided not to argue as he went and opened it, pressing a button on the control panel and watched as Thor went through the open door.

Thor knelt down in front of Loki who was still sobbing. "Loki", he said softly.

Loki shivered, continuing to cry, his face buried in his arms that rested on his legs.

Thor swallowed. "Loki, look at me, please", he pleaded gently.

Loki hiccupped, finally looking up. He looked destroyed. Like he had lost everything. He seemed so broken and vulnerable it made Tony's heart ache for the god.

This is what a man would look like when they had finally given up.

"She's g-gone", Loki mumbled, his voice breaking. "Gone."

Thor frowned, confused. "Who's gone, Brother. What do you mean?"

Loki swallowed, unable to speak. He lifted his arm, showing Thor his left wrist.

Tony knitted his eyebrows together in confusion. What was Loki showing him? What could possibly be on his wrist that's so important-

The truth hit Tony hard. It was his left wrist. His soulmate. What had he said? 'Gone. She's gone.' That could only mean one thing.

His soulmate died.

Thor blinked looking shocked. "T-that's not possible."

Loki let his arm fall and curled back in on himself and sobbed some more.

Tony heard racing feet and turned to see the other Avengers enter the room, seemingly panicked.

"Jarvis told us that something was-", Steve eyes drifted to the two Brothers in the cell, seeing the sobbing broken form of Loki and Thor who was attempting to comfort him and failing, -wrong."

"What's going on?" Natasha asked, looking to Tony for answers.

"Loki, he...his soulmate...", he couldn't say it. Just thinking about losing a soulmate is heartbreaking. He had no idea how Loki felt at the moment, but he assumed it was something like being stabbed in the heart around about fifty six times.

Natasha seemed to understand. The others? Not so much.

"I'll find out what happened, Brother. I'm sure it's not what you think", Thor said, but Loki didn't answer.

He left the cell going over to the others.

"How is he?" Natasha asked.

Thor shook his head. "Not good."

"Hold up! What exactly has happened?" Clint interrupted.

"Loki's soulmate has...passed", Thor said delicately and the Avengers besides Natasha winced.

"Holy shit. Is he okay?" Clint asked.

"What kind of question is that?" Tony asked, the answer obvious as Loki was sobbing brokenly behind them.

"It just doesn't make sense", Thor shook his head, "There's no reason for her to have passed. She was perfectly healthy-"

"Wait, hold on. Who is...who was Loki's soulmate?" Tony asked quickly.

Thor sighed. "Sigyn. She was Loki's wife."

"Wife? So, they were married?!" Clint asked, shocked.

Thor nodded.

"How do we know this isn't a trick?" Steve asked and everyone glared at him. "I'm just saying, he's the god of Mischief and Lies, right? How do we know he's not lying? How does he even know she's dead."

Tony wanted to strangle him. What the hell is wrong with him?

Thor seemed to control himself. "The mark of his soulmate's name has faded. Usually that's a sign of two things. One, they are no longer soulmates. Two, one of the soulmates has passed."

"That happens?" Tony said surprised.

"Yes. More often than you think", Thor confirmed.

"But, that doesn't mean she's dead, right? I mean, you said that it could be because they're no longer soulmates", Bruce said hopefully.

Thor looked saddened. "I'm not sure. Usually it only happens when the soulmates fall out of love."

Tony was intrigued by this information. He didn't know that your soulmate could change.

"I'm going to Asgard to find out the truth", Thor stated, "I ask that you take care of my Brother while I'm gone."

Clint looked wary. "What exactly does, 'take care of him', include?"

Thor smiled slightly. "Nothing overly hard. I'd appreciate it if you could just keep him well. Perhaps give him a room in the tower so he doesn't have to stay in that cell."

"A room. Sorry, but you do remember he's a villain, right?" Clint asked furiously.

"Clint, come on. I'll make sure Jarv keeps an eye on him at all times, okay?" Tony promised and Clint wavered.

"No. Absolutely not. What can't guarantee that Jarvis can keep the team safe", Steve snapped and Tony had to try really, really hard not to punch him in the face.

"Okay. Let's vote on it. Everyone for Loki being allowed to have his own room and live in the tower with some privileges with video surveillance at all times, raise your hand", Tony said to the others.

Everyone but Steve raised their hands. Steve scowled. Tony couldn't help but smirk. "That was a fun team exercise", he commented just to annoy Steve some more.

"He's your responsibility, Tony. If anything happens, it's on you", Steve said in a hard voice before turning and leaving the room.

Tony shrugged. "Okay, whatever."

"Thank you, Man of Iron", Thor said gratefully.

"It's actually-you know what? Sure! Man if Iron. Son of Stark. GrapeFruit. Whatever you wanna call me, then that's my name", Tony said, giving up on getting Thor to call him 'Tony.'

"What about Moron?" Clint asked with a snicker that made Tony glare at him playfully.

Thor looked confused. "Your name is Grape Fruit?"

Tony facepalm before looking up with a wide (rather pained) smile. "Yup."

Clint couldn't stop laughing.

Natasha rolled her eyes at the pair's immaturity. "Just go Thor before Clint wets himself."

"Hey!" Clint said indignantly.

Thor nodded and left.

The playful mood evaporated as they were brought back to the sobbing figure in the cell.

"So...anyone wanna volunteer to talk to the emotional god that'll probably throw you out a window?" Tony asked the people remaining.

Bruce left the room before Tony had even finished. Natasha raised an eyebrow at him before also leaving. Clint laughed at him some more before leaving as well.

"Thanks guys. Really helpful and supportive aren't you", Tony muttered to himself under his breath before going to talk to the broken gods and hoped that he wouldn't be murdered for trying to help.