Chapter 3 - More Than Meets The Eye

A/N: Here's the chapter! (It's a long one!) Enjoy!

The next day. After the whole ordeal at the Granger's household. Daniel L/N sat at the table of his kitchen. His face in his hands as he tried to massage the fleeting pain in his heart. But no matter what, it still hurt and withered below himself. He groaned as he pulled his hands away to look around the kitchen itself.

It was simply never the same without her.

Yesterday had brought back painful memories for him. So much that he messed up the dinner. They hadn't said anything, but he knew he'd made it awkward and unpleasant as the evening had progressed.

His son, Y/N hadn't said anything when they got home. Not that he'd blame him, he sensed he was feeling the same things akin to himself. They way he searched the room, the airy feeling between the muggle family, and what he wished so. Something that Daniel couldn't provide because of his fuck ups in life.

And he had another one to add to that list of his. He had been so occupied with his job and his personal feelings. That he had neglected to tend to that of his son's. So much that he didn't know what he was feeling at the time, nor what he could do to help him. Daniel knew the changes were affecting the boy more than he would ever admit.

When he first noticed he had left under the cover of night to hunt. Unaware of it himself and with no control of his impulses. The older man had almost had a fit. It was the exact thing he was trying to avoid. He thought that staying away from him would help. That somehow if he just tried to ignore it and pretend it wouldn't happen, nor was happening around him. That it, in turn, wouldn't happen at all.

But he was wrong, and now it was out of his reach. Only Lupin could help, and perhaps... 'No.' He silently cursed. No, he couldn't help him. Even if he could, it wouldn't be possible. The ministry would never allow it, (well Fudge wouldn't) Not that he paid much attention to the man. Well, apart from that day he had stormed into his office in a fit of rage.

"What the bloody hell do you think you're doing?" Daniel had roared as he stormed into Fudge's office at the Ministry. It was after he had visited Y/N at the infirmary at Hogwarts. Finding out from Dumbledore that Fudge had attempted to send his son to Azkaban. Over his dead body.

If Fudge was surprised to see him, he didn't show it. "Daniel, what a pleasant surprise." The Minister had said with a cheery expression on his face. None the wiser of the rage that simmering in the older L/N's heart.

"Shut up!" Daniel hissed as he stood in front of the man's desk. His eyes dark and angry. "You had no right to try and take my son."

Fudge removed his reading glasses from his face and placed them gently on his desk. "Ah that?" He said with a faint recognition in his eyes. "It was just precautions, Daniel, no need to worry yourself." But there was a slight bitter end in the man's words.

"We had a deal." Daniel hissed through his clenched teeth. Placing his hands down on the desk with a slam. Enough to make the minister flinch slightly.

Fudge nodded. "Yes we did." He said as he looked up at him with a smirk. "But you failed to uphold your end of the bargain, you see. We cleaned up any mess your Maria had caused, and allowed you to freely roam the contacts with the other ministries, for your paranoid delusions. And in turn you control your son, but," He chuckled. "It seems he's not the only one in deem of correction."

"Don't say her name." Daniel whispered dangerously, his hands clenching, and knuckles turning white from pressure. "I'm already handling it, Lupin will be able to hold it back. It won't be a problem." He said as best as he could.