1

~Delilah's POV~

A sigh left my lips as I looked at myself in the mirror, frowning to myself. "What's wrong, honey?" Mom asked me, causing me to turn around in surprise, not having realized that she was even standing outside the bathroom door, which I'd left open.

I gave her a smile and lightly shook my head, dismissing the matter. "Nothing, mom." I assured. "I'm just a little bit nervous." I said, watching as her blue eyes softened and she smiled at me. "Don't be nervous. It's your last year, and I know you'll kick ass!" She chirped, her infectious smile making my mood lift as I thought about the first day of school tomorrow. Or at least, the first day for me. School had already started up a week ago, but I hadn't gone just yet because I'd gotten sick just before school began. What a great start my senior year is off to.

"Is dad home from work yet?" I asked her, trying to switch the subject to something that had nothing to do with me. I didn't want to dwell on my anxiety about how tomorrow was going to pan out. If I did that, I'd probably worry myself until I puked.

Mom frowned and shook her head, turning off the bathroom light for me as I left. "No, not yet. He has a new boss, so he had to stay a little late to go over some things." She told me, sending me a tiny smile before she turned and headed into the kitchen. I pranced after her, raising a brow curiously. "New boss?" I asked. "You guys didn't tell me that." I said, and she glanced over her shoulder at me with an amused smile on her face. "Honey, why would we tell you that?" She giggled, causing my face to burn as I crossed my arms over my chest.

"I dunno." I pouted. "It's not like you guys haven't told me about stuff you do at work before." I pointed out to her, leaning against the island counter. Her lips twitched into a grin. "Okay, okay." She snickered. "Fair point, you got me there."

She turned to the stove and turned off the burner, pushing the pot of food back onto the stovetop more so there was no chance of it getting knocked onto the floor somehow. I sniffed the air and my stomach grumbled obnoxiously when the aroma hit me, making me realize how hungry I was. Over the week I'd been sick, I hadn't eaten very much at all. "What are you making?" I asked, sniffing the air again. "It smells really good." I added. Whatever it was, I hoped I could eat some soon because I was starving!

All mom did was look over her shoulder at me and grin, giving me a playful wink. "Food. I'm making food." She gave me the typical mom answer, making me pout. "Well, I kind of figured that much out for myself." I grumbled, only earning a laugh from her as she placed a potholder on top of the lid covering the pot. "You'll find out later. Now go change, you'll stain those good clothes if you eat in them." She scolded, gesturing to my attire. I huffed but didn't bother to argue, leaving the kitchen so I could go change like she'd told me to. It wasn't like she was wrong. Sometimes I could be a pretty messy eater, especially when I was really hungry, which I was.

The hardwood floor creaked when I entered my room, letting my bedroom door swing shut behind me. I ran a hand through my long brown hair and stalked over to my white dresser, searching through the drawers until I found a pair of comfy pajamas that I could change into. After I changed my clothes, I plopped down on my bed and grabbed my phone from my nightstand, having heard it buzz several times while I was changing. Not to my surprise, it was my friends texting me, asking me if I'd be at school tomorrow. I typed back 'yes' and then flopped back onto my pink and white plaid blanket, my eyes peering up at the ceiling.

My phone began to ring and I groaned when I looked at the screen, realizing that the three idiots I called friends were trying to do a Group FaceTime call. I answered it, not bothering to sit up as I held the phone above me and watched their faces pop up on my screen.

First Juliana's face popped up, and it looked as though she was calling me on a potato because her tan face was all types of blurry. I raised a brow and watched as Tate and Kailee's faces popped up next, theirs looking more clear. It only took a few seconds before Juli's camera adjusted and the quality was all better. "Hey, guys." I chirped at them, smiling at the sight of their faces. Juli and Kailee grinned at me while Tate just waved, looking about as confused about why we were calling each other as I had been. "Why are you guys blowing up my phone?" Tate asked, voicing the question on my mind. I guess it had only been Juliana and Kailee texting in the group chat and not all three of them like I had thought. How unsurprising.