14

~Delilah's POV~

"You got Luke to agree to sit with us at lunch?!" Kailee practically squawked at me from across the table, her eyes bugging out of her head.

Both Tate and Juliana cringed at her loudness whilst I just giggled in amusement, finding it funny how obvious she was about her crush on him. There was no way Luke didn't know about it. In fact, the way that they'd been flirting the one time they'd spoken together told me he definitely knew. "Yes, I did." I affirmed, nodding my head. Kailee opened her mouth, likely to squeal in excitement some more, but I spoke again before she could. "But don't scare him away! I barely got him to agree to be friends with me." I warned her, knowing that I didn't really have to say this to Juli or Tate. Luke and Tate were friends already evidently, and Juli didn't obsess over boys as intensely as Kailee did by any means.

"Oh, please!" Kailee snorted and dismissively waved a bony hand. "I'm not going for just friends, and I highly doubt he'll wanna be just friends with me, either." She said suggestively, giving a playful wink. However Kailee wasn't very good at winking, so it looked awkward and unnatural. Juliana snickered. "He will if you wink at him the way you just did to us. That's the ultimate boy repellent." She remarked, making Tate guffaw while Kailee gasped in offense.

I watched Kailee scold Juli before going into an argument with Tate for his loud guffawing over Juliana's words, sitting quietly as I munched on my sandwich. As I ate my food I suddenly felt a tap on my shoulder, making me turn around to look up over my shoulder.

There, in all his glory, stood Luke. He peered down at me with his sky blue eyes, tall and as intimidatingly broad as ever. "Hi!" I chirped, a grin forming on my lips. Maybe he hadn't expected such an enthusiastic greeting because he raised a brow at me. "Hey, bubbles." He said nevertheless. He glanced up and looked around the table, his lips flirting up into a smirk when he saw Kailee. "It's you." He remarked to her, suddenly walking all the way around the table so he could sit down next to her. It surprised me a little that he did this, but I just waved it off. I didn't really blame him for preferring to sit next to Kailee. It was clear that they were interested in each other.

I went back to eating my lunch, quietly munching on my sandwich as I tuned out Luke and Kailee's flirting. Of course I'd never really admit it but their flirting made this odd churning rise in my stomach. It was an odd, uncomfortable feeling that I hadn't before, and I didn't know what to make of it.

As I ate my peanut butter and strawberry jelly sandwich, Tate gently nudged me in the arm with his bony elbow, causing me to frown and look up at him in confusion. He gave me a grin, stealing one of the potato chips from the bag of chips I had open in front of me on the table before he popped it into his mouth. "You did your hair differently today." He noticed, eyeing my dark hair that was up in a bun on my head. Normally I always wore my hair down, leaving it in it's natural state. I wasn't very good at making my hair do anything else.

A smile rose on my lips and I reached a hand up, brushing a stray strand of shorter hair out of my face. "Yeah, I did. It doesn't look weird on me, does it?" I wondered, and his lips twitched in amusement before he shook his head. "It's just a bun, Dell." He said, snickering in amusement. "Your hair looks fine, like always." He assured me when he saw the way my face warmed, sneaking another chip from the bag.

Feeling a little more confident and sated about my hair, I gave him a big grin and nodded my head gratefully. I shared the rest of my chips with him since he seemed to want some, though I only ended up sharing a little more than half of the bag. "Are you busy this weekend?" Tate asked me as he ate some of the macaroni off of his tray. I paused for a moment and lulled my head back a bit in thought, trying to remember if I had anything planned for this weekend. "No, I'm completely free." I answered, looking back over at him as I shot him a smile. His brown eyes shone with excitement and I giggled softly when he practically bounced in his seat. "Could we all hang out, then, since you were too busy last weekend?" He pleaded.

Still smiling, I nodded my head, playing with the end of my dress as I peered up at him. "Sure, but we'll have to think of something to do." I said, and he hummed, biting his lip in thought. I watched him curiously until he suddenly grinned again. "There's this horror movie that came out. We should go see it." He said, a mischievous look in his eyes.

Suddenly the idea of going out with them did not seem so appealing.

"Huh?" I pouted at him and gently shoved him in the side, shaking my head. "You know I hate scary movies." I said, causing him to snicker. He playfully prodded me in the side with his hand. "That's just 'cause you're a pussy." He teased, the insult making my jaw drop in offense. "No, I am not!" I huffed, furrowing my brows in frustration.

Tate only snickered and rolled his eyes, nodding his head as if he really bought that. "Of course you're not. You just peek from behind your hand any time anything scary comes on the TV, even if it's just a commercial." He snorted. Embarrassed, I fiddled with my fingers and stuck my nose up a little. "T-That's not true." I grumbled, knowing very well that I was lying. It was most certainly true. I wished I could be the type of person that could handle scary movies, but it just wasn't for me. I had always been a wimp and it was embarrassing, at least to me.

He snickered and playfully flicked me on the nose, making me yelp in surprise and gently touch my nose as I frowned at him. "You know it is." He said, still smiling in amusement as he watched me rub my nose.

"Ugh." I huffed. "Can't we just think of something else to do, something that we would all like?" I pleaded, giving him a hopeful look. He chuckled and nodded his head in agreement, taking a moment to think it through before he perked up. "We could go shopping. Juliana has been complaining about wanting to get her halloween costume early anyway. You know how she is." He said, rolling his eyes.

I giggled my head and nodded. "That sounds good." I chirped, much more content with this idea than the other one. Besides, halloween was only about a month and half away, so it was probably a better idea to get a costume early before all of the good ones were gone.

As Tate and I were in the middle of talking, I felt a strong gaze on the side of my face, making me glance up. Luke was eyeing both Tate and I, watching the two of us as we were talking with a little frown on his face. I raised a brow curiously and gave him a small smile, wanting the look on his face to lighten up. Instead of smiling back, he just furrowed his brows and frowned even deeper. Confused, I cocked my head to the side and furrowed my brows right back, wondering why he looked so upset right then. He pursed his full lips and looked at Tate, his eye twitching when Tate slung an arm around my shoulder without really meaning anything by it. This was normal for Tate to do, to everyone, not just to me.

Luke's eyes focused on Tate's arm around me, all kinds of intense and intimidating. It wasn't until Kailee began rambling to him and flirtatiously brushing her hand against his thigh that he paid attention to her again.

But I couldn't help but to notice the slight clench in his jaw after he had looked away, even when he was listening to Kailee.