18

~Delilah's POV~

I walked into the cafeteria and towards the lunch table we all sat at, smoothing down my frilly pink floral dress skirt. As I got closer to the table I looked up and my heart skipped a beat when my eyes landed on the two people who were already there. Then, my heart dropped and my white converse made that high squeak sound against the floor.

Luke and Kailee were the only two at the table, and they were making out hardcore.

My face burned and I hesitated before I reluctantly pulled out my chair to sit down, an odd feeling stirring around in my chest. I wasn't sure what it was but it wasn't a nice feeling, not at all. For some reason, I almost felt a little bit...stupid? Or maybe it was embarrassment or discomfort?

I unzipped my bag and pulled out my lunch, making sure to keep my eyes far away from Kailee and Luke. Some part of me felt hurt, but I didn't know why. It wasn't like it was news to me that Luke had a thing for Kailee, and why wouldn't he? Kailee was totally beautiful! She was the complete opposite of me. The realization of this made me feel a little bit more hurt. I had never, not even once before, felt like this about one of my friends. I felt insecure and I was upset, and I didn't know why I felt like it was Kailee's fault for that. It's not. It's not Kailee's fault. Maybe I'm just a bad friend...? I've never felt this before now.

Suddenly the chair beside me scraped loudly against the floor as it was yanked out, making me jump in surprise and whip my head up. My eyes met Tate's, who gave me a friendly grin and ruffled my hair. "What's up, Dell?" He chirped, plopping down into his seat. I gave him a weak smile, trying my best to fake it despite the odd feelings I had in my chest. Tate must've immediately noticed the smile wasn't real because he frowned and furrowed his brows, peering at me with confusion. Then he leaned closer, close enough to whisper to me so only I could hear. "What's wrong?" He asked softly, concern in his eyes. It was clear that he knew very well how to read me, not that it was probably a very hard thing to do. I was not good at lying or pretending.

"W-Well..." I mumbled and felt my face flush in embarrassment. I felt a wave of shame wash over me when I considered telling him how I was feeling, making me wonder if sharing this was really the best option. What if Tate thought I was a bad friend and didn't want to be around me anymore? "It's nothing." I lied, and he frowned deeply as he scooted his chair closer. "Dell, you don't have to be afraid to tell me something. Anything at all." He assured me, giving me a soft smile. "I mean, I l—" Something suddenly hit Tate in the forehead and then bounced onto the floor, making me gasp.

My head whipped around to see what had happened or to see if maybe Juliana was around. She was probably the only one who'd throw an empty chocolate milk container at Tate's face. Still, I didn't see her around. I went to turn back to Tate but then I took a peek at Luke and I saw he and Kailee had stopped making out. Kailee was typing on her phone in the seat next to him and Luke was staring at Tate with a narrowed gaze, his arms crossed over his chest. My jaw dropped. "Did you throw that?" I blurted to him before I could think it through, causing him to look at me. His blue eyes looked icy and cold. "What makes you think I did that?" He scoffed, causing me to frown.

"Well, your bottle of chocolate milk is gone now." I noticed, causing him to narrow his eyes. "It wasn't me. I didn't even have one today." He said, and I knew he was lying because I had seen it empty on his tray when I got to the table. He'd definitely thrown it. "You shouldn't throw things at people. It's not nice and you could hurt someone." I scolded, taking a glance at Tate. He looked perfectly fine, thankfully, and luckily didn't look angry.

Luke, on the other hand, just flipped a switch. He sat up and glared at me. "It's fucking plastic." He snapped, making me blink. "That isn't the point." I huffed, furrowing my brows in frustration. I wasn't sure what was happening, but Luke suddenly stood up from the table and grabbed his tray. "I'm leaving." He said simply, before he turned and just walked off. I gazed after him in confusion, my jaw slacked in disbelief. "W-What just happened?" I practically squawked to Tate, turning to look at him. He just smiled and shrugged. "Go ask and find out." He said, nodding his head towards the cafeteria doors that Luke was heading towards. He really was leaving.

Taking a moment to think it through, I quickly stood up and put my lunch back into my bag, practically running after Luke. He was tall so I could easily see him, but his long legs led him through the crowd very quickly. I, on the other hand, had to weave my way through people just to not get trampled on. "Luke!" I called, hoping he could hear me. He didn't turn around, so he either didn't hear me or just didn't want to listen. Still, I kept going. "Luke!" I called again, walking faster.

This time he whipped his head around, looking irritated. "What?" He almost snarled when I caught up with him, making me flinch a little. "Don't you have to check on Tate's horrible injury?" He mocked.

"That's not nice." I said quietly, frowning up at him as I shuffled on my feet. "Tate's your friend. Why did you throw that at him? What if it had hit him in the eye or something?" I scolded, watching as he rolled his eyes. He stepped closer to me and I straightened a little, trying my best to hold my ground. Tate was my friend and I didn't want him thinking he could treat anyone that way, but especially not my friends. It was wrong. "At least he'd still have stopped making those goo-goo eyes at you." He scoffed. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head, extremely confused. "Uh...?" I mumbled. "What?" I asked, lost.

His face was flushed pink by now. "You and him! You two are just...Y-You're annoying with the way you always flirt together! I thought you were just friends." He said, causing me to blink in surprise. "Flirting?" I echoed. My face burned. "Tate and I have never flirted with each other." I said simply, and even though it was true, he looked more pissed. "That's bullshit. You guys are always together, always talking and giggling. And what the hell was he even getting so close to you for in there?" He demanded to know.

"I-I'm confused!" I huffed, my brows furrowed. "Why do you even care? You were making out with Kailee like five minutes ago..." I pointed out. He just about sneered. "I'm fucking sick of this, Delilah. You absolutely just..." He took a step towards me and I felt my heart race. He caged me against the wall and I felt like I was going to pass out. "I don't care if you're dating him but at least tell me so I'm not constantly ogling my friend's girlfriend."

"We aren't dating. Tate is my friend, like Kailee and Juliana. A-And you." I said, watching as his blue eyes flashed with emotion. "Me, huh?" He muttered, narrowing his eyes at me.

I weakly nodded my head, but I knew there was no way I saw him as only friend. Nobody got this excited when a friend was so close to them.