~two~

TWO

Magic is not a practice. It is a living, breathing web of energy that,
with our permission, can encase our every action.

✧✧✧✧

On 29th of March around six in the morning, Genevie's plane landed in New York. She booked a hotel and after keeping all her luggage there, she went out for sightseeing. Gen had never been to New York, so she was pretty excited to be here.

Around 4:42 pm, Gen made her way to 45 East St. with a coffee in cup in on hand and tarot card in the other as she approached the large brick building. She pushed the door open with one hand and swiftly steppe inside the building. The building looked run-down and in need of few repairing. She was starting to doubt whether this was all a big joke. 

She rushed up the stairs to meet another man leaning casually against the door. He looked like he was in his forties and wore a black fedora perched on his bald head. He raised his eyebrows when he saw her. 

"So I see that I'm not the only one." Gen said mostly to herself before taking her hand out. "Genevie Fern."

"Merritt McKinney." He introduced herself as they shook hands. "I see you got one of those cards."

"Yeah." Gen nodded showing her card. "Well, are we waiting for someone?"

"Don't know." He crossed his arms before answering. "The door is locked."

Before she could say something, she heard people coming up the stairs, talking rather loudly. 

"You have a website." A male voice said. "That's good. Good for you. Get the word out."

The two people stopped when they saw Gen and Merritt there. Gen's eyes widened when she realized who the man was.

"Okay." said Merritt looking at those two "So apparently none of us was the only one chosen. Let me be the first one to kick my ego to the curb."

"Daniel?" Gen exclaimed looking directly at him, who now realized that she was there too. 

"Genevie." He said narrowing his eyes at her. 

The other two looked confused as Genevie and Daniel stared each other down. 

"You guys know each other?" The red-haired asked looking between Daniel and Genevie.

"I would love to say no, but yes." said Gen looking at the red-haired. 

"How do you guys know each other?"

"Gen and I went to same high school." Daniel explained. 

"Never liked him very much." Gen added. 

"The feeling's mutual." said Daniel with a sarcastic smile, before walking toward the door. "Now, if you excuse me --"

"Door's locked." Merritt said. 

"Is it?" said Daniel. "I'll check."

"You." Merritt said to the red-haired girl. "Now, don't tell me. Uh. . .Helen? No, no, Henley."

"It's on your coffee cup." Daniel said looking at the cup Henley was holding. 

"Thanks for keeping me honest." said Merritt to Daniel, before turning to Henley. "That wasn't mentalism, by the way. It was just an observation. Second observation, you are beautiful." He turned to Gen. "And so are you Genevie."

"Call me Gen." said Gen to the Mentalist. 

"Thank you. That's good. That's very nice. Very well-polished. Nice bit." said Daniel as he walked in front of Gen and held out his hand to Merritt. "J. Daniel Atlas. Nice to meet you." Merritt pretended to shake his hand, and then flipped him off. Gen let out a small laugh at this.