~thirteen~

THIRTEEN

❝Imagination is the true magic carpet.❞ 

✧✧✧✧

Genevie Fern was sure she couldn't wait any longer, the nerves were coursing through her body were sure to send into frenzy. Everything was set, it was time for their final trick. 

Daniel and Gen were just finishing up the monitors so they could speak to the fans through holograms as the crowd outside yelled and cheered for them at the top of their lungs.

"Everyone ready?" 

With nods of confirmation they all got into their positions. Gen took her place behind Daniel and closed her eyes taking a deep breath. She felt Daniel take her hand and he gave her squeeze in a reassuring way. She smiled at him, before turning toward the hologram. 

The final act was beginning. 

"What is magic?" Daniel started. "Magic is deception. But deception to delight, to entertain, to inspire. It is about belief,"

"Faith." Henley stated.

"Trust." Gen added. 

"Without those qualities, magic as an art form would no longer exist." Merritt continued, in rather quite serious way, something totally different from normal funny attitude. 

"But what happens if these qualities are not used for higher purpose?" Henley asked the crowd. 

"And instead they were used to cheat, lie, steal?" Gen continued. 

"For personal greed of gain?" said Henley.

"Well that is no longer magic." said Daniel. 

"It's a crime." Merritt confirmed his eyes roaming over the audience. 

"And so tonight for out final act, you're gonna help us set a few things right." Gen announced to the audience. 

The holograms disappeared from the building. The four magicians exchanged looks. 

"It's show time." Merritt said rubbing his hands together. 

Danny snapped his fingers and signaling the dummies of them to rise from the center of the stage as a distraction, another illusion. 

They walked toward the direction of the elevator and quickly stepped inside it. Each of them took different side of the corners. Gen realized this could be their last moment together. She hoped not.

She leaned against the wall, her arms crossed over her chest and stared off into space, all their memories together flashing before her eyes. 

"Daniel?" Merritt said as he moved his eyes toward their control-freak friend.

"Yeah?"

"Uh, as our, let's call it, year of living dangerously comes to a close, in a rare moment of vulnerability, I'd like to express a sentiment to you about our relationship."

"Okay."

"Well, when I first met you, I thought you were kind of a - dick." said Merritt making Gen and Henley chuckle softly. 

"And?" Gen asked looking at Merritt. 

"No, no that was it." Merritt said nonchalantly.

"That was very nice. I'm touched." said Danny.

"Yeah, just from the heart." said Merritt grinning. 

"I didn't say where I was touched." 

"Oh, you!"