poison

with one look, that very first glance, the reaction of us was immediate, chemical, definite. adrenaline pumping in our blood and oxygen caught in our lungs and aroused hearts thumping uncontrollably against our tightened chests; oh how absolutely thick the tension in the air was in that instant.

we both knew the world was stained with deceptions and tragedies and injustice, and both of us were hopelessly lost souls in this cruelly treacherous world. we knew nothing and understood little, but there was one truth that was crystal clear to the both of us in that exact moment: we wanted each other. we needed each other. we belonged with each other.

that was when it all began; the sneaked glances, the flirtatious smiles, the gentle touches, the shared laughs. and with every word you uttered, my heart became more and more tied to yours, and at last i was yours and you were mine. we were ready to battle the world together, hand in hand, but little did i know that in time, i would end up battling you. because the thrill was only in the chase, baby. once you had seized my heart and i had captured yours, the beauty of our love began to deteriorate.

i began to lose you on the very first day i won you.