第三章; 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗶𝗺𝗮𝗹 𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗱𝗼𝗺

𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞⠀✦ : the animal kingdom ໑

"honestly." y/n angrily bit into the onigiri osamu made for her. "who the fuck does he think he is? he acts worse than tsumu, and that's saying somethin'..."

the inarizaki team were eating snacks at itachiyama's cafeteria. it was a public holiday for japanese students today, so no one was at school save for the teams, coaches and some teachers. the schools in tokyo's prefecture saw the opportunity to host a three-day training camp and invited inarizaki to come along.

"hey!" atsumu pouted beside y/n, breaking a chocolate pocky stick in half. "i thought we were best friends."

"we can't be best friends if 'omi-kun' is your best friend." y/n sighed as a standing kita pat her head.

"how dare he hurt my daughter," he muttered, shaking his head.

y/n nodded sadly in agreement. mom...

"he's not that bad once ya get to know 'im. here." atsumu held out half of a pocky stick to y/n. "best friends forever?"

y/n eyed it for a solid five seconds. atsumu frowned.

not wanting to deal with a whiny atsumu over a joke, y/n took it. "fine. best friends forever — just not with your 'omi-kun'."

"kiyoomi-san is alright," suna mumbled from across the table. "he just doesn't know how to express himself."

y/n looked up in surprise.

osamu hummed in agreement, standing behind atsumu. reversed version of killing stalking. "he's been gettin' pestered a lot by girls. 'less you haven't noticed, he's a germaphobe. he doesn't like crowds or people that get too close to 'im."

oh. is that why he tried inching away from me at the gym awhile ago?

"say, y/n-chan, what happened to you and sakusa-kun?" ojiro asked beside y/n, chewing on a dango.

at the mention of her arch nemesis, y/n glowered.

"he sprayed me with cockroach repellent, told me i looked like a cockroach and started acting all high and mighty because... he's an asshole." she listed off her fingers. "and that all happened in... one hour?"

y/n motioned for ojiro to share his dango with her.

"he ain't that bad once ya get to know 'im," atsumu repeated, this time with a heavier dialect.

"too much kansai," osamu whispered. "pay up."

"eh?" atsumu whined. "can we reset? i'm trying my best to talk without our normal dialect, but it kicks in at random moments."

y/n and ojiro exchanged glances. why bet over something so stupid—

"you've asked to reset thrice already," kita stated, rolling his eyes.

"correction: seven," suna said.

"i'm broke."

before osamu could call out his twin yet again, akagi (inarizaki's cheerful libero) arrived in the cafeteria with the rest of their team.

"heya, fukurodani and nekoma are here."

➽───────────────❥

the teams started mingling with each other as soon as inarizaki arrived in the gym. y/n noticed that fukurodani's captain and nekoma's captain were particularly loud in contrast to kita. their setters, she heard, were faces of the "pretty setter squad" and balanced out their captains' personalities.

"y/n-chan!"

y/n looked up from where she was sitting on the wooden floor.

atsumu was waving her over to a group of unfamiliar boys. sakusa was with him, mask still on his face and a disgusted look still in his eyes. will your expressions ever change?

"coming~" y/n hopped up and made her way to them.

"this is oshiro y/n. she manages our team and plays volleyball outside of school," atsumu introduced y/n to the boys when she stood beside him.

"hey hey hey, oshiro-chan! or is she a third year? hey tsum-tsum, is she younger than you?" the boy with striped black and grey hair leaned towards y/n.

a different boy with a calm face gently pulled him back as to not get too close to y/n. y/n accidentally made eye contact with him.

gunmetal blue eyes. black hair. melancholy face.

he's... he's pretty.

you idiot, the loud boy asked you something! and stop staring like a creep—

"i'm younger than the miya twins by two months." y/n smiled at the enthusiastic boy. "nice to meet you...?"

"that's bokuto koutarou," the boy next to him said, this time with black spiked hair. one of his eyes were covered, and his other eye gleamed like a cat's eyes would. "i'm kuroo tetsurou, captain of nekoma. he's the captain of fukurodani by name, but we all know akaashi is the captain by responsibility."

"kuroo!" bokuto exclaimed, pouting as the other boys laughed. "aghashe~, he's bullying me again."

"...bokuto-san," the pretty boy only sighed out.

oh, so the pretty boy's name is pretty too. wait, why is he so pretty?

"y/n-chan's already fallen for akaashi here." atsumu laughed, pointing a thumb at her. "no one can blame ya."

"shut yer trap!" y/n flushed.

bokuto and kuroo nodded approvingly. akaashi only looked away.

ouch.

"and this one..." kuroo snatched a nintendo switch off a boy with above shoulder-length hair. "he's kenma kozume, my setter."

kenma looked irked and motioned for kuroo to hand his switch back, but nodded at y/n with a small "hi".

y/n's heart melted a little. he's adorable.

y/n and the boys talked for a bit. kenma was just on his switch and was pitching in every now and then. and sakusa, that bastard, was still brooding from the other side of atsumu.

kita came to the group a few minutes later — "the practice games are about to start. you should go to the courts now."

so then, the players started filing towards the courts with a promise to hang out again later.

surprisingly, sakusa stayed behind. atsumu threw a questioning glance over his shoulder, but the masked boy didn't budge.

"what?" y/n said, turning to sakusa.

still brooding, he suddenly ripped off his mask.

y/n's mouth fell open.

his face was, to put it simply, perfect.

or maybe it's just because i'm not used to seeing him without his mask on.

still, his facial features complimented each other well.

he looks like my type, but—

...shame his attitude is shitty.

sakusa's face contorted to that infamous scowl. "tch, stop staring. your face is annoying."

before y/n could react, he was already gone.