5. Hot Water Is The Best

5. Hot water is the best.

Your beautiful eyes
Stare right into my eyes
and sometimes I think of you late at night
I don't know why
I want to be somewhere where you are
I want to be where you are

So. Let me tell you something about Amy. She is the World's problem.

When I was four, Amy was born. She was fourteen when the "cafeteria scene" had happened. She was a Freshman and what did she do? She showed the video to my mom.

Which meant Mom found out that Haroldson provoked the fight. What I hadn't known was she still thought I was eight, not eighteen. Why? Because she called up Mrs. Haroldson to ask about her son's "unruly behavior".

I sat on the couch, dabbing the ice pack on my jaw while Mom spoke about "teenagers these days" and some how, the conversation went to the new apple pie recipe she had tried during the inauguration of some women's club she had joined. Mom got details of the club and promised she'd be there for their next meeting on Sunday. Good riddance.

"Honey, I spoke to Kate and she said she'd have a talk with Patrick so you got to go over there and solve it with him." She leaned on the table and crossed her feet.

"Mom, we are not kids. It would be fucking great if you don't get into this."

"I only want your good, son", she said, sounding hurt. I sighed. Women, I swear.

"Mom", I walked up to her and wrapped my arms around her, pulling her to the couch. "Patrick and I, we're both adults. Mom, we're eighteen. Seniors in school. We've done so much together, for each other but there are times that relationships fall apart, right?", I gulped holding mom tighter as she teared up. I guess she was remembering dad.

"Yeah? So, something's take some time to solve. It could be anyone's mistake. And it was my mistake this time. And it's more than just what happened in the Cafeteria. Some" I continued, "personality differences? I know you've always been here by my side, Mom. You're my best friend. The only best friend's who doesn't have a dick" I laughed when she let out her tears as she playfully slapped my shoulder with a "Have some respect when you talk to your mother, young man".

"You understand that it'll take us more time than a phone call between our mothers, right?" I asked hopefully.

"My baby has grown so big", she hugged me as she cried.

"Now you realize?" I chuckled as I hugged her back. "I love you, Mom."

"I love you too, son".

"Hey, don't forget me!", Amy ran upto us as we all did our thing of a group hug. After emotions settled and we had our moments, I dragged Amy to her room while Mom went to the kitchen to cook.

"Ow, ow , ow. Big Brother, stop!", she complained from her big, fat mouth.

After reaching her room and getting hit by the nauseous smell of perfume and wax and an array of pinks and purples with whites; my eyes got settled to what seemed to look like a movie-set stereo typical girl's room.

"Why did you show the video to Mom?" I snapped.

"Ugh, let go of me first!", she said, struggling under my grip.

"Amy, you are in big trouble." I threatened as I pushed her on the bed. "You shouldn't have done that! Mom just called Mrs. Haroldson, you know this could have been worse right?"

"But it wasn't so I don't see the point", she flicked her pony tail.

"My question is why you did what you did."

"No reason, Big Brother. You should leave." She said.

"Do you not care for your brother?!" I asked, throwing my hands up before bunching my hair with my fists.

"Why is it always about you? Amanda was right. You think about yourself more than about anyone else and I am not mad. I feel sorry for you." That struck a nerve.

"Amy apologize to me right now." I said, unable to say anything else.

"Oh just hear yourself say that for once. I am not that two year old girl who you used to bully around. Just grow up." She rolled her eyes.

"What are you..?" I was in a loss of words. "What are you coming at?"

"You are my big brother and I love you. Because I care, just take my advice. Living up to people's expectations is not what life is about okay? Live for yourself and let people appreciate for what you are".

"Why are you even advising me?" I asked dumbly.

"Because you need it", was all she said before she went under her covers and hugged herself. "Turn the lights off before you leave and tell Mom I'm not hungry."

I stood there for a while. I let Amy talk to me like that. I let Amanda talk to me like that. Mom and Haroldson showed pity on me. I was not a charity case, then why were they treating me like one?

I stumbled down the stairs as I thought of all the problems that has happened in the last few weeks. I had no one except Cas in school. And I was slowly ignoring her as well.

At home, I used to be the man of the house. I still am. But just a really bad one. I stopped going to my part time job. Mom was doing double shifts now and dating some businessman I have seen in some magazine before.

Amy was always on the phone, now that I had started noticing. She hardly ate and cried herself to sleep. If only I could have tried everyday to knock her door, go inside and be a good older brother to her. But I had become too dense.

In school, Amanda's friends who used to my friends made snide remarks as I passed them. Amanda was still not in school. Haroldson was mostly with an Asian chick who I have never seen before.

Ironically, my grades were going higher. My Math teacher, Mr. Tsang was very happy. I got the third rank in the term exams that happened two weeks ago and soon, the rugby season was over. And so was the football. Now after the basketball season got done with, preparations for the Prom and Exams will commence.

High school life was almost finished and it was so soon that it was so hard to believe that so much had happened. So much drama had happened.

Amanda moving in.

New members in our little clique.

Kevin passing away.

Stop going to street fights.

Changing girls like my under wear.

Adjusting to more people.

Pushing people away.

Mom breaking up with her boyfriend.

The white tee incident.

Me quitting my part time job.

Getting arrested by the police.

Amy joining my school.

Dad coming back.

The cafeteria incident.

Flunking exams.

Over partying.

Losing friends.

Losing sense.

Losing myself.

Always remember : Feelings are like a tee - You can feel them all the time.

Dylan

---------------------

How do you guys like it? Vote and comment c: