Chapter 5

'Evie! My God, what happened to you? What happened? Where's your doctor, are you going to be okay?' 

Suddenly my father was gripping me so tightly I could barely breathe. He was still covered in grease and had come straight from work. He quickly released me and looked panicked as though he had just dropped a newborn baby. 'Am I allowed to hug you? Do you have any broken bones?' 

Rochelle walked over and patted my Dad on the shoulder. 'Hello Mr Jennings. I'm Doctor Rochelle Hernandez and have been looking after Evie since she came through emergency this morning.' 

Dad and Rochelle exchanged a handshake (and a little grease) the contact with the doctor had Dad instantly at ease. 'Hello doctor, sorry about the grease. I've been fixing trucks all morning. What happened? Ben tried to explain but I think he was in a little shock. All I got was that Evie was at a farm and collapsed and is now here.'  

Rochelle smiled and nodded her head, her presence was much more calm, almost soothing but her voice was very doctor-ish, as she rattled out medical jargon.  

'Basically Evie had a panic attack and due to the lack of oxygen getting into her bloodstream she fainted. She then began having a severe nightmare which I believe is quite common for her of late. I would like her to come back into the hospital this week to speak to our on-site psychologist. I feel she may have some deeper issues which may be caused by stress; and this could be the reason behind the ongoing night terrors. 

Hang on a second, stress? Of course I was stressed but I wasn't crazy. 'Um, sorry to interrupt but I don't need to see a shrink. I just need a day or two off.' 

Dad didn't even bother looking back at me; he simply barked an order as Rochelle had before, 'You're going!' 

Rochelle looked over and widened her eyes at me, once again trying to communicate through her mind or something - clearly I was missing whatever sign she was trying to get through. I had never really been good at charades and didn't think a sudden burst of talent was about to shine through now.  

'It's okay Evie. It will give us a chance to talk more and let me see how you are coming along.' 

Finally it dawned on me. 'Sure, that makes sense.' I would go home and try to sift through the information Rochelle had given me today and come back with questions. I was also going to Google Soul Snatcher. 

Dad relaxed a bit more after speaking with Rochelle and sat down beside me. I could see the worry in his eyes and once again felt awful that he had to be here to see me like this, especially since, for obvious reasons, the hospital was not his favorite place in the world. 

'Dad?' In an attempt to distract him I tried to make lame conversation. I now had his attention but had nothing to say as my mind was definitely on other things. 

'What is it Eves, do you need something?' 

My mind was spinning, I was begging it to think of something to say and it was madly running around in circles like a dog chasing its tale. 'Um, where's Ben? I thought he was driving you here.' 

Dad smiled and let out a big sigh. 'Oh yes, Benjamin. Ben is definitely here, don't worry about that. In fact I had better head out and see where he is. I left him in reception and he mentioned something about hitting the gift shop.' 

I grimaced at the thought of Ben buying me anything right now. After all he had been put through I definitely owed him big time. 

Dad stood up and began to walk out, turning as he left. 'You going to be okay for a minute?' 

I rolled my eyes; no matter how old I am Dad is always going to be super protective. 'Yes, I'll be fine. Now go and find Ben before he buys out all the teddy bears and heads up to pediatrics for theirs.'