Chapter 18

As I soaked in the beautiful warm water, the scent of lavender bubble bath clouded the bathroom and hovered over me like a steam canopy. I stared ahead letting my mind process through what had just happened and tried to understand all Ben had said. I could hear Ben flicking through a magazine, trying not to let the bed creak as he moved for fear I would tell him to get out. I wondered if this is what it would have been like if we had gotten together and been a proper couple. I'm certain he wouldn't have been this protective but I wonder if we would have gotten along or if things would have been weird.  

I then thought about Meredith and how she was, how her parents were and if I should have passed on the Guides advice and told her to moved ly Nancy had told him to make him okay that I wasn't going home at the moment. What was I going to say to him to make him all right with the fact I was going to have to stay here for a while until I sorted myself out? I'm pretty sure he would believe me if I brought him here but I didn't know if normal people could see this place, even Ben and I had to concentrate to see it. 

Lost in my thoughts I heard a gentle knock at the door. 'I'm okay Ben, I'm not sleeping!' 

Ben chuckled; I loved it when he laughed, it made me feel less guilty about bringing out such a serious side to him. 'I know, I know. Just thought I'd let you know that Josh is back and Mom is coming over in a couple of hours for dinner.' 

I sat up in the bath and looked at the door as though Ben could see me smiling at him through it. 'Really? Nancy's coming? Do you want me to come down and help with something? Josh had marshmallows before so I guess we have food somewhere. If there's nothing decent I can race to a store.' 

'Uh that won't be necessary; we have everything we need here. I'm going to start on the potatoes, you just relax. I wasn't going to say anything but I thought seeing Mom might brighten your day.' 

I quickly began lathering shampoo in my hair; this did brighten my day. 'I'll be out in five!' 

I heard the floorboards creak as Ben left the bedroom. I rinsed my hair off, not bothering to condition it as I wanted to get downstairs and help Ben make the best dinner we could for Nancy. I was desperate to ask about my Dad and see what she thought of bringing him here, whether he would be able to handle it or if she thought I should go and tell him at our house. 

I pulled the plug in the bath and carefully stood up, grabbing one of the mint green towels off the rail and wrapped it around me. I stepped out of the bath and picked my clothes off the floor, studying them closely. My skirt wasn't too bad but my white shirt was covered in dirt marks and was still damp from my sleep. I sighed heavily, one more little notch of defeat weighing on my chest; I would have to borrow some clothes from the wardrobe as I didn't want Nancy to see me like this. 

I walked through to the bedroom and opened the door to the wardrobe, grabbing the pair of jeans from the hanger that I'd re-hung previously, and a sweater. It was an 80s' style, white, off the shoulder number, with a navy blue emblem I couldn't quite make out, stitched on the right hand side. Not too bad, whoever picked out these clothes had, like the person who decorated the room, recognized my taste perfectly. I pulled my hair back in a loose ponytail. It was still damp but I was too excited to care as I skipped out the door, down the stairs. 

Josh was walking out of the kitchen with yet more food, this time he was crunching from a bag of Doritos. 'Hey, Eves! Heard you had a crap sleep, that sucks. I told Mom you were having a bit of trouble settling in so she's coming over for dinner. Wouldn't go in the kitchen if I were you; I nearly lost a finger getting these out of the cupboard.' 

I hopped down the last step, grabbing a Dorito out of the packet. 'Thanks, I'll take my chances. How about you show me the TV room after I help out with dinner?'