Chapter 15

We ran for what seemed like hours and it quite easily could have been. The sun was beginning to fade leaving only the dark, cold and uninviting shadows from the trees on our path. Josh slowed down and eventually we were all caught up in a brisk walk. None of us had spoken a word since we entered the forest - our minds focusing only on getting as far away from Marius.  

As we came to a large clearing Josh abruptly stopped and held his head up to the trees. He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath through his nose, as though he was smelling for something. His eyes opened and he looked at us both with a huge childish grin. 'Awesome, I remember now. We're definitely on the right track, it's just up over here.' Josh began excitedly walking ahead of us, up a small hill.  

We followed him until we reached a clearing. Tall trees still towered over us letting only specks of sunlight gleam through. We all stood there in silence as Josh once again closed his eyes and smelled the air. The only sound to be heard was water bubbling over pebbles and as I looked over I noticed a beautiful little brook flowing from a small rock face that was covered in light green moss.  

I had only been into the forest twice before, once when Ben and I were younger and decided we were going to be explorers, though that expedition was quickly put to a halt when I got stung by a bee. The other time was for a school camp where we had to go on scavenger hunts and name plant species. Both times I had been here I had never seen or maybe had just never noticed the natural beauty and peacefulness the forest had to offer. 

Josh opened his eyes and looked back at Ben and I who were taking in our surroundings. 'Okay, now I need you to keep an open mind about this otherwise it won't work.' 

Ben rolled his eyes. 'Oh great, this is going to be weird isn't it?' 

Josh stomped his foot on the ground trying to get Ben to take him seriously but it just made him look like an angry child. 'Ben, I'm serious! You have to listen to what I say otherwise you won't be able to see it.' 

I looked over at Josh, confused as he seemed to be speaking in riddles. I knew that he could talk to animals but could he also see invisible people? He had an imaginary unicorn friend once called Gus Silver and used to pretend to ride him around the back yard for hours at a time much to Ben's and my amusement. I smiled to myself as I recalled the time Gus Silver kicked Josh off when he tried to make him jump the back fence. Josh had the same serious look on his face then as he did now and at this moment I wondered if Gus Silver the unicorn had actually existed.  

'Josh, what are we supposed to be seeing?' 

'That. Over there.' He pointed over between the two largest trees which were standing like a gateway to the rest of the forest, though I could see nothing past them except for dirt and more trees.  

I looked at Ben who was squinting, trying to find whatever it was that Josh had pointed out. 'I don't see anything Josh. Look let's just head back to our house; isn't that where you said Rochelle was taking everybody anyhow?'  

Josh began getting impatient. 'No Ben, we can't just go back to our house. I saw Rochelle and the gang running back into the forest when the explosion hit; they will know we're here and they can come and get us. Besides, they were only meeting at our house for your convenience cos you'd never been here before. Now, both of you come over and hold my hands.' 

Ben and I both walked over and stood either side of Josh, taking his hands in ours.  

'Now close your eyes.' Josh leaned over to me as I shut my eyes obediently and whispered, 'By the way, Evie, your hair looks ravishing when it's wet.' 

Ben let go of his hand and punched Josh in the shoulder. 'Stop wasting our time.' 

Josh stuck out his tongue at Ben and then closed his eyes and once again tilted his head up to the sky. Ben and I followed as Josh whispered instructions. I couldn't help but likening this to the young exchange student, who seemed to do the same thing before she caused the earthquake.