Chapter 13

As I walked through the door and into reception a loud shriek came from behind the table. I ducked down, half covering my head with my free hand as though there was an aerial attack about to strike me down, only to see Erica, the receptionist, waddling as fast as she could around the counter to come and greet me. 'Evie, oh Evie, my dear girl! You're back and in one piece!' 

Erica had been the receptionist at Raven's since well before I began and insisted that everyone, including the boss himself, call her Aunty Erica. She was an older woman, maybe 65 or so and had short, dark gray curly hair that was always pulled back on each side of her face with her tortoise shell combs that her son had brought her back from a holiday he took to Hawaii. She wore thick bottle glasses that hung around her neck on a pearl strand; you could always hear her coming as when she walked they would clack against the plastic buttons on her blouse. Erica was an amazing woman and as nice as pie to everyone if they followed the office rules. Andre from shipping once left the main photocopier out of paper and as he walked away Erica chased him down the hall only to give him a good telling off when he finally stopped running. She was constantly on a new fad diet, though she never seemed to budge from her usual size which I guessed was at least 180lbs; 'More to cuddle,' as she would always chuckle when she couldn't resist a sweet treat from the local shop. 

Erica wrapped me in her arms, my face getting squished into her large chest. She always smelled like talcum power and was what I imagined my Grandmother would look like if she wasn't so into her yoga and spirulena tea. 'Oh lovey, it's so good to see you! Your Dad came through this morning and said you would be here! Look, come with me I have something for you.' Her clucky voice trailed off as she grabbed my hand and led me around the large, green reception desk to her seat. Once we were there she bent down, flashing the top of her dark tanned stockings that dug into her knees, usually well hidden under her light floral skirt. She rummaged around her purse and brought out a crumpled paper bag and handed it to me. 

'Here love, I saw these the other day and got them straight away. They are all natural, super strength herbal supplements and are supposed to work wonders for what you have.' 

I took the bag warily, giving her a curious look. 'And what is it exactly that you think I have, Erica?' 

Erica blushed and looked up at me through her thick glasses; they enlarged her eyes so much sometimes she almost looked like a cartoon character. 'I was hoping you could tell me that; your Dad was very mysterious and wouldn't tell anyone what you were suffering.' 

I let out a little laugh. 'That's so Dad. I have just been a little overtired lately and I fainted; no big deal, just a bit of exhaustion.' 

Erica clapped her hands with excitement and linked my arm as she led me down the hall. 'That's perfect! These are fantastic, my son Rodney takes them every morning and is as healthy as a horse, says they keep him calm which goodness knows he needs with his wife.' 

We got to the door of my office and I looked around to see if anyone else had arrived yet but all the doors were closed and the light was still off. 'Erica, is anyone else in the main office?' 

She shook her head. 'Nope, just you so far, petal. Had a few calls this morning, seems everyone is stuck on the main highway waiting for a truck to move. Luckily I live right behind the truck depot so I walk to work every morning.'  

I went into my office, putting the canary on the desk next to my writing pad. Something felt strange, almost like things had been moved around then put back into place. 'Has someone been in my office?' 

She pursed her lips together as though she was unimpressed by what she had to say. 'Dimity was in here whilst you were gone. She insisted that she checked all your emails but I know for a fact she was on the internet most of the time chatting with her boyfriend online. Let me know if there is a huge backlog of work and I'll send her back in to help.'