Chapter 11

I peered around the corner as I walked as lightly as I could through the entrance to where Amy and Meredith were sitting next to each other on the flawless white sofa. Mere holding a hot bowl of soup as Amy carefully stirred it, occasionally sipping some from the spoon firmly gripped in her hand. 

Amy looked over as I sat on the large matching armchair opposite. 'Evie Jennings, you should be in bed.' 

I smiled, Amy looked so much better than when we first walked in, the color had returned in her cheeks and she looked more steady. 'So should you. I'm f...' I went to say the word fine but I knew this irritated Ben. I looked over to see him sitting on the chair next to me, once again with raised eyebrows. 'I'm okay, trying to recover with as much sleep as I can get but other than that it's nothing too serious.' 

I looked over again to see Ben's face which had now relaxed back to normal. He turned to Amy and continued the conversation as though our little exchange of looks hadn't even happened. 'How's Merve?' 

Amy sighed heavily and put the spoon back into the soup bowl. It was almost as if the thought of Merve being so ill made her feel even worse. She sank back into the chair as Meredith put the soup on the coffee table in front of them.  

'He is not well, this came on so quickly. He was complaining about shortness of breath for a few nights. I was worried thinking it was his asthma playing up again. Then one night at the dinner table he just collapsed and was wheezing very heavily. I called the ambulance immediately thinking he was having some sort of attack and they took him straight to the Emergency room.' 

Meredith quickly wiped a few tears away as she excused herself from the room. The poor thing had obviously not had time to process any of this and was possibly hearing this for the first time herself. Ben kept on with questioning Amy; I was sure he was concerned I had the same illness that plagued not only the Bourke house but half of the town. 'What did the Doctor's say it was? Is it contagious?' 

Amy shook her head. 'It doesn't seem to be contagious, they believe it's something we have ingested or inhaled. Three more workers from the factory have come down with the same thing and a few of the teachers from the junior school. They have had people out testing both sites and found nothing so everything is business as usual. I just don't understand it, we have always been such healthy people - even with Merve's asthma this is the first sign of any respiratory problems.'  

I glanced at Ben who kept looking straight at Amy. I knew he was thinking the same thing. We both worked at the same factory as Merve, along with my Dad. I was trying not to panic - not for me as I knew what my problem was, but for Dad and Ben who to my knowledge were not Supernatural freaks like me and could quite easily be affected by this. As Ben and Amy chatted, the voice from earlier replayed the spoken words around and around my head. 'Tell them - as many of them as you can - to get out.' This was clearly my mission and something I had to act on straight away. The only thing was coming up with a plan that would work. 

As I stared off into space Meredith walked back into the room and stood in front of her mother. 'Mom, I think it's time you have another rest, Evie should get going soon anyhow.' 

Amy nodded and grabbed Mere's arm for support as she pulled herself up.  

'Yes you should get going and get some rest missy. It looks as though Ben is going to start having panic attacks soon with all the worrying about you he's doing.' 

Ben and I both looked at each other and blushed as Amy grinned a cheeky smile. She knew all too well my feelings for Ben and bless her for having the strength to poke fun at us both even in the state she was. I stood at the entrance watching as Amy and Meredith slowly made their way down the hall, not understanding how Amy had managed to keep going without anyone's help in the condition she was in.