Episode 16: (Keefe's POV)

Before:

"Will you be okay?" She felt the need to clarify.

"Sure," Keefe reassured her. "I'm me, after all."

Sophie laughed and handed him the crystal. He held it up to the light streaming through the windows in her room, but before he stepped into the light, he said,

"And, Ruewen? I missed you too."

Then he stepped into the light and glittered away.

Keefe woke up without a memory of falling asleep. He'd blinked... and it was morning.

He groaned, remembering what had happened the night before and who had come over.

Why did Alden have to interfere anyway? Why did he care so much?

He groaned even harder when he remembered he had to hail Fitz.

And Biana would probably continue to bug him about Sophie.

DARN THE VACKERS.

Except Alvar and Della. They were fine. And NON-INTERFERING unlike some of the OTHER Vackers he knew.

Keefe buried his face in his pillow.

Why did his life have to be so messed up?

Just to make matters worse, he heard his parents arguing downstairs.

Great.

They were home.

Just what he needed.

Prolonging the misery would only make it worse, so Keefe shuffled out of bed and pulled on his school uniform. He pinned his stupid cape on with his macot pin, and went into the bathroom to style his hair.

But for the first time in a VERY long time, he just didn't have the energy. He had to make sure he seemed fine, though, so he used his usual hair products and messed up his hair, perhaps not quite as perfectly as usual, but passable.

He picked up his bag... and stopped. He would have to talk to Fitz after school.

He continued to walk forward. Maybe if he stayed quiet, his parents wouldn't notice he was there and he could sneak past them to the Leapmaster.

Unfortunately, when he tiptoes downstairs, his parents were standing right in the room connecting to the Leapmaster's. It looked as though Cassius was trying to use it to go somewhere, but Gisela had grabbed his wrist, forcing him to stay put.

Keefe tried to slink past them. He'd never wished that he were a Vanisher more. Yet another part of his life that might be better had he been a Vacker.

Because his luck was just that bad, Cassius spotted him as he tried to sneak by.

"Where are you going?" He asked suspiciously.

"To school," Keefe informed him. "Have to get my education and make you look good, right?"

"Right, like you care about your education," Cassius snorted. "I expect that I'll get another detention slip, or a hail that you've missed more classes."

"Good! Now you won't be surprised!" Keefe smirked, hoping Cassius could feel the waves of hate Keefe was sending him.

"Look, I don't have the energy to fight right now. I have a meeting with a friend right now."

It was Keefe's turn to snort. He was surprised Cassius had friends. Maybe he treated them better than his son. He knew better than to say that out loud, though. Right now, he just had to get out of there as fast as he could.