t e n

c h a p t e r  10

"You used the wrong formula."

"But you told me to use this formula."

"Yeah, that formula, for this problem, not that problem."

"Oh." Hyunjin scratched the tip of his nose. "Sorry." He murmured.

"It's fine. You can start over." I took his full paper, replacing it with a new one. "Here." I wrote the formula on a notepad, sliding it to him who was sitting next to me, before focusing on my own work.

After finishing my work at the library, Hyunjin and I agreed to take one hour of our deal, spend it today, and spend the other hour tomorrow. However, the said hour had passed by already and we were getting nowhere as he kept mixing the concepts and formulas with each other. Seeing as I had nothing planned for the day, I took it upon myself to extend our agreement. Trying to explain it to him, can also serve as my reviewer so I guess it was alright.

We were separately doing our own works until he spoke. "I'm surprised you're not yet engulfed in flames." He lightly tapped the table with his pencil.

I flipped a page of my history book. "Why would I be?" I asked, my eyes grazing over the familiar words.

I've already studied for the upcoming exams but since I was in the library and staring at Hyunjin while he worked seemed a little too invasive, I decided to re-read the passages.

"I don't know. I figured you'd be screaming at me by now." He shrugged. "Or giving up trying to teach me." He continued with his worksheet with a small chuckle.

I scoffed. "Oh, I've handled the dumbest of kids before. You fit right in." I joked.

He pouted. "That's very encouraging." He said sarcastically.

I chuckled. "I'm just kidding." I subconsciously nudged his shoulder with mine, forgetting my hidded agenda of not getting too close. I cleared my throat before discretely scooting away. I could see that his brows knitted in confusion with my actions so before he could ask I spoke again. "Anyway, I think I'm not in a position to get mad since everyone has different learning capacities." I averted my gaze back to my book.

He hummed taking my words in. "True."

Silence enveloped us once more. We were inside the library so it was difficult to label as awkward.

After a while of furious solving, he sighed before standing up. "I'm gonna grab a drink from the vending machine. You want anything?" He asked.

I shook my head. "I don't think there's a 'peace of mind' in there, but thanks for asking." I pursed my lips.

"There isn't, but there's chocolate milk. It's basically the same thing."

"Good point. Okay I'll get one." I reached for my bag to retrieve some coins.

"My treat." He walked away before I could get my wallet.

I huffed, not wanting to be in debt of a favor. Even if it was just chocolate drink.

While plotting a way to sneak my payment inside his bag, my head whipped towards the table as the phone on top vibrated. It was Hyunjin's. I didn't mean to invade his privacy but I made out the words 'where the hell are you, everyone's here' and a series of angry emojis before it blacked out again. I looked away to prevent myself from reading any more as it vibrated continuously.

Not long after, he came back with two drinks in hand. "Your phone has been vibrating nonstop. It seemed urgent." I glanced up at him.

He took his phone from the table and read the messages. Based from the texts that I read, I expected him to leave soon so I tidied up our table as his fingers rapidly danced along his phone's keyboard.

Halfway done fixing, he sat back down. "What are you doing?" He eyed the now organized papers.

My brows furrowed. "Don't you have somewhere to be?" I asked.

"No." He scoffed. "Quit chatting, Pororo. We got work to do." He snatched back his unfinished worksheet and continued with it.

I found myself staring at him, a little confused. It didn't take a genius for someone to figure out that the text message meant that he was supposed to be somewhere.

"Do you want me to airdrop a photo of myself?" He asked, eyes still on his paper.

"What?"

"Well, you've been staring for a while now." He lightly tapped my nose with the tip of his pencil. "So take a picture. It lasts longer."

I blushed furiously, looking away.

"You're blushing." He smirked.

"No, it's hot."

"Who? Me?"

"The weather, dumbass."

"We're in an air-conditioned room."

"Some aircon."

•••

I longingly traced the picture of an ice cream cone on my science book. We've been inside the library since morning and it was already 3 PM. I am dumbfounded at how Hyunjin can be so easily distracted. He kept asking questions about my life and making unnecessary comments resulting to me getting riled up and him forgetting his supposed task. I'd ask him to focus and then the cycle repeats.

"You want to get ice cream?"

I glanced at him. "Yeah."

"Then let's go and get some." He straightened his back, pencil already down.

I rolled my eyes. "Forget it."

"What? Why?"

"We're gonna get some when you're already done with that." I pointed at his papers.

"Really?" His eyes practically sparkled.

I nodded, not giving it much thought as it seemed that he was far from finishing.

"Deal."

My eyes almost fell out of their sockets when Hyunjin finished his work in only under 10 minutes. "Okay, let's go." He raised his arms over his head, stretching.

My eyes scanned his paper expecting to see a mistake or two but to my surprise there were none! It was perfect! "How did you..?" I trailed off, bewildered.

"What can I say? Ice cream makes a great encouragement." He smiled.