Chapter 4

Jack came into his room, bloody and dirty, oh what did he do?
Jack said" Will you stop breaking into my room?"
Randall said" Time's up. Hamish and Lilith are looking for you."
" Good. Let them kill me."
" Whoa! As your RA, it kind of sounds like you're depressed. And this whole look... supports my theory."
" I just killed my ethics professor! I woke up next to his dead body. I'm covered in his blood. I think one of his tendons is stuck in my fucking teeth!"
" Oh, yeah! Flossing is your friend."
" That's all you have to say?"
I said" If Silverback killed your ethics professor, he must have had a good reason. What's the last thing you remember?"
" I was with Benson. Outside of her house. What if I killed her too?"
——
We got to Benson's house,
Randall said" Leaving evidence of a transformation? Sloppy, dude. Tsk, tsk, tsk." Jack picked up his clothes, we walked to the door, he started knocking.
Jack said" Professor Benson! Professor! Hello!l
" Looks clear to me. Why were you here anyway?"
" 'Cause I thought she was in danger."
I said" What kind of danger?"
" Magical danger, okay?"
Randall said" You let Silverback do his thing. Nice!"
" No! No, not nice, because I slaughtered my ethics professor."
" Dude, relax. Everything looks normal, and I don't smell any blood. The longer you wear the hide, the stronger your senses become."
" Oh, wow. Sign me up then."
" You'll say the oath?"
" What part of I slaughtered my ethics professor did you miss?"
" Well, nothing here tells me you killed your english professor."
" You're sure?"
I said" Solid... 60%."
" Okay, do me a favor and check around back."
Randall said" I'm telling you dude... okay, okay. Be right back." We walked away from him," Don't go anywhere. You owe us!" I heard Jack's feet hitting the ground,
I said" He so ditched."
" Yep."

We found Jack again,
Randall said" Hey, Jack!" Jack walked over," Thanks for ditching us. It's not like we know exactly where to come. That one of your order buddies?"
Jack said" That's Brandon."
" What were you guys talking about?"
" Never mind."
" I gotta tell you, dude, so far, you are a lousy double agent."
" I am no one's agent. Look, Benson is alive."
" Great."
" But she's in the hospital."
" Werewolf attack?"
" Hit by a car."
" That's a relief. After all this, it'd blow if you had to kill her." Jack stopped, looking at us,
" Kill?"
I said" Come on, let's eat. We need to figure out how to keep you alive."

We were eating ribs, well, me and Randall.
Randall said" Sure you don't want one?"
Jack said" Not hungry."
" Right. Ethics professor. You probably filled up on his heart."
" That's not funny, man."
I said" Not a joke. Eating heart is a Knights of Saint Christopher tradition."
" Why would you do that?"
Randall said" She just told you. Tradition."
" I thought I had the transformation under control."
" You said Benson was in danger, right? So you were worried about her."
" Of course I was."
" Well, there you go. You're worried, Silverback hates magic. Together, you fight crime."
" I don't want this, Randall, Rachel."
" Look, I get it. It's a big change. It takes time to adjust. Hell, Greybeard killed three people before I learned how to control him."
" What is wrong with you? I mean, you talk about murder the way other people talk about picking a movie."
" It wasn't me-"
" Yeah, yeah. It was Greybeard."
Then Alyssa Drake said" Greybeard?"
Randall said" Yeah, my, uh..."
Jack said" His... My D&D character. Battle elf."
" With a plus thirty charisma. Rib?"
Alyssa said" No, thanks." I looked at Randall and grabbed a rib," I won't be able to tutor you anymore."
Jack said" Oh, uh... I haven't been doing any of that, uh, that stuff... you don't want me to, I swear."
" It's not that. It's... all that other stuff."
" Oh. I get it. I take it back. I mean, I don't, but if it makes you feel better, I do."
" No. I'm working on a new project. With someone else."
" Oh."
" And I need to put all my energy into this... new project. I just... thought you should hear it from me." She walked away,
Randall said" Dude, constructive criticism? You have to work on your game. And your charisma."
Jack said" I can't live like this, Randall. I'm a time bomb. I'm a wolf time bomb. A killer wolf time bomb."
I said" You're a bomb, We get it. But we can help."
Randall said" You trust us?"
Jack said" Not at all. But what choice do I have?"
" That's the spirit. Um, check, please."