karaoke

"I'M YUDAI AYAMI. NICE TO MEET YOU!" Y/N greets, followed by a bow.

"Oh? Akaashi? You managed to convince her?" Bokuto reacts, a little in disbelief for some reason.

"Welcome to the team, Yudai-chan!" Suzumeda greeted, "We were getting pretty nervous you wouldn't agree."

"Nice one, Akaashi," Konoha tells the vice-captain, nudging him as well.

"Thank you, Yudai-chan. We can turn over the responsibilities soon enough," Shirofuku says.

"Uh oh, no emotional third-year speeches please," Washio chuckles.

"Eh? Forget it now, time to clean up," Shirofuku reminds, which confuses Y/N.

"Wait, training is already over?" she asks.

"Yep, early dismissal from training today," Suzumeda confirms with an endearing smile.

"Oh, oh, okay," she mumbles. "Let me help, I want to learn about these manager stuff," she adds.

"Sure, can you bring down the net? I think Bokuto can help you with it," Shirofuku suggests.

"Ayami-chan, over here!" Bokuto exclaims, waving at her from a distance. He was standing near the pole raising the net, waiting for her.

"Okay!" she responds then rushes to him.

"How do I do this?" she asks herself. In this timeline, the real Ayami's height was five foot five, nowhere as tall as anyone else in the court.

"Just hold this," Bokuto instructs.

Meanwhile, for Akaashi, as the vice-captain, he's also helping out. Keeping the storage room clean, tidying the club room, just making sure everything's well-maintained.

"Are you joining us later, Akaashi?" Konoha asks while they clean.

"Later? Are you going to the karaoke later?" Akaashi takes a guess and Konoha confirms it with a nod.

"Oh."

"Well? You joining or not? Everyone else is, Bokuto too," Konoha adds, "And maybe Yudai-san too. She's new so why not?"

"If Ayami-san is going, I think I might need to go too," Akaashi answers, strangely in a straight unfazed expression.

"Eh? What's with her? What do you mean?" the older suspects something, maybe some sort of a romantic attachment. Maybe platonic. He just keeps guessing.

"No reason," Akaashi answers and shakes his head. Perhaps, with her strange behavior lately, he feels the need to accompany her. Or maybe, her strange behavior simply makes him curious. Like she's a mystery he needs to solve.

"Yudai-san!" Konoha calls her.

"Oh, Ayami-chan, Konoha's calling you," Bokuto says and taps her shoulder.

"Oh, Konoha?" Y/N tries to recall who it is but no one comes to mind. She sways her head to her side, trying to remember.

"Yudai-san!" Konoha calls again. This time she spots him.

"Yes?" Y/N asks.

"Wanna go to karaoke with us?" he invites.

"Karaoke?" she mumbles, "That term sounds familiar. Is that the machine for singing with instrumental?"

"Oh! Karaoke! Join us, Ayami-chan," Bokuto invites her as well.

"I mean, I don't have a choice if I want to go home. Bokuto's the only one I can follow to get home," Ayami tells herself.

"Karaoke's fun, Ayami-chan, come join us," Bokuto insists with a smile.

"Yes, sure, I'll join you," Y/N finally agrees.

"Konoha! She says she'll come with us!" Bokuto exclaims.

"So, Akaashi, aren't you gonna come with us too?" Konoha asks Akaashi this time.

"I can stay for a while," he answers.

After the clean-up, Akaashi and Bokuto return the gym keys to the faculty room and all that's left to do by now is to wait for the two to come back.

"No training tomorrow, right?" Sarukui, one of the third years, ask.

"Nu uh, no training," Suzumeda confirms.

"When's the next training then?" Y/N asks.

"Monday after school," Shirofuku answers.

"You mean, every after school, you guys train?"

"Yes. We still train every after school," Akaashi answers.

"Oh, there you are," Washio remarks, "Let's go."

"Did you forget that, Ayami-san?" Akaashi asks as he walks alongside her.

"Heh, sort of, sorry?" Y/N nervously responds. She knows she's probably in the verge of being caught.

"That's okay. You can ask if you other questions about volleyball."

KARAOKE. 4:30PM.

"So, this is the instrumental machines now?" Y/N comments as peeks at the karaoke rooms, "It isn't like this in my timeline, no one was this excited for these machines in my timeline."

"I'll order coffee jelly, anyone else?" Bokuto asks, looking at the small menu. "Later, I'm trying to find a nice song," Sarukui says.

"Hey, I wanna sing too," Bokuto says, tossing the menu away. Akaashi catches it just on time.

"No, I got the song catalogue first!" Konoha argues.

"Well, looks like I'm going first," Shirofuku says. It surprises the three, making them look behind their seats.

"Oh, right, the control pad," Konoha mumbles, looking at Shirofuku who's already searching her songs digitally without the need for the song book."

Shirofuku's song comes up and she grabs the microphone for herself. "Kaori-chan, let's have this duet," she invites.

"Hey, I wanna be next," Bokuto says, pouting over the catalogue Konoha refuses to share.

Y/N's already content with simply watching the chaos and observing how lively the team is. "Maybe this wouldn't be too bad," she convinces herself, "I just need to make it through this day, learn the route home, then it'll be okay."

"How about you, Ayami-san? Aren't you going to sing too?" Y/N hears Akaashi's question. He sits next to her with a bunch of food with him. He places the snacks and drinks on the table, still left unnoticed by the bickering third-years.

"I'm a little shy," Y/N says. If the real Ayami doesn't sing, she's sure to get caught by Akaashi. He seems like the observant type.

"You don't have to be shy with us, you're part of the team," he convinces her.

"Well, one song couldn't hurt. Plus what is he going to think? That I came from the 90s?"

"Hey, Ayami-chan, what song are you gonna sing?" Suzumeda asks after their song finishes.

"Me? Song?"

"Yeah, come on, you can choose in the catalogue there," she says.

"You too, Akaashi, pretty sure you can sing!" Shirofuku says on the microphone.

"Akaashi-san, if you sing, I'll sing too. How about that?" Y/N chuckles.

"Deal," he immediately responds, taking her by surprise for a bit.

"Shirofuku-san, can I sing Stay With Me next? By Miki Matsubara?"