4. Lies That Build Are Better Than Truths That Destroy...

8:00 AM, 24th March, District Hospital, Belgaum

Her body was still, calm, and silent as she was sleeping peacefully on the hospital bed, but her memories were not. She saw herself drowning in the water, struggling and asking for help, desperately wanting to live. Seconds later she opened her eyes, waking up in a totally unknown environment, and muttered to herself, "Am I alive?", she checked her own pulse, "Where am I?"

A nurse in her mid-fifties wearing a light blue saree saw her and rushed to open the door of the room almost squealing at the top of her voice, "Doctor! Doctor! Patient in room 112 is awake...come quickly" 

Trying to remove the drip that was attached to her, she decided to move out of the bed breathing heavily. The nurse in that room saw her and went up to her bed, "Be careful, don't remove the drip... You are still weak. What happened to you?"

Although her soft words calmed her, she didn't know what to answer, she was in too much distrust of what had happened with her that she could not dare to tell anything to anybody. She softly mumbled, "How am I here? Who brought me? What day is today?"

Before the nurse could say anything a female doctor came hastily inside. She checked her vitals and asked her, "What's your name? Where are you from?" 

Her questions puzzled her already nervous mind and fumbled in her speech and said, "I don't know"

The Doctor nodded and continued, "You were admitted to the hospital on 9th March with too much blood loss, pneumonia, and head injury. It looked as if you had an accident and fell into the water. Do you remember anything about how you got injured?"

"No, I don't," She replied promptly, averting her gaze down and pressing her fingers tightly. 

The doctor then gently patted her shoulder and explained again, "Because of the head injury maybe you are not able to remember. Don't worry, I think it's just temporary, don't try to stress and take some rest. There is no abnormality on your CT scans also, I think we can discharge you. In case you have any problem, come to the hospital immediately"

She then turned her face towards the nurse and commanded, "Sister Ratna, do the final tests and get her discharge papers ready. Contact the police and update them regarding her." She then left the room after detailing Amna about her medicines.

The nurse turned towards her and uttered gently, "You are looking fine now, but you are still weak. I am in charge of a local old age home here, you can stay there if you want",

She looked up at her with tired eyes and stammeringly spoke, "Thank you, but I cannot stay here anymore."

Widening her eyes a little she reprimanded, "See, you are still weak. You don't remember anything... You have no money or place to stay. So, you should listen to me. I have been taking your care for 16 days..." She said in an authoritative tone gently brushing her fingers against her wrist.

Amna reluctantly nodded an indistinct yes on hearing her words, "Okay... But sister, but do you know how I reached the hospital?"

"My nephew... My sister's son brought you here. He was driving along the bridge when he saved you. He immediately then brought you to the hospital. I will get your discharge papers ready so that you can come with me and another thing, your belongings... I mean whatever you were wearing that time is in that bag. Although they are washed and folded, it's all torn and damaged, I will get you some of my daughter's clothes and a pair of slippers" 

While she was politely explaining everything Amna's mind was still deeply disturbed by that night's event. Her heart was feeling guilty at the same time because of the tale of memory loss that she had cooked up in front of such a loving woman who had taken her care for so long.