19. Her Realisation...

7:25 AM, Hospital, Lonavala

As the policeman tried to approach Amna, Shreekant held her wrist tightly and said, "She is not going anywhere. The attack happened with me, so why is my family filing the FIR? Don't you think sir, I should be the one to file the complaint?"

The policeman looked at Anant while Shreekant continued, "I exactly know the reason why you are taking her, and regarding the fire and the missing complaint, she can record her statement here itself, am I right? As the victim of the attack, I request you to discard the baseless complaint filed by my family. The person who brought me immediately to the hospital was Amna, and you are saying that she tried to kill me", he chuckled while his eyes were still gleaming in anger.

The doctor interrupted, "Please don't disturb the patient too much, and about the girl you are blaming, she is the one who gave him proper first aid, and thanks to that, he didn't lose much blood. I don't know about other things but she is a very able doctor who had tried her best to save the patient's life"

He continued darting his brilliant brown eyes, "Now I think you are convinced, Amna tell them, why that man called you and also why you were missing?"

Amna understood his hint and said, "That day I went to meet the Head of Department casually, as I knew him from my college days but when I went there he was not present in his cabin. So I told the attendant to pass the message to him. He might have called to inform me about that but our call got disconnected. Regarding the missing complaint, I had an accident on my way to Belgaum and was admitted to a hospital for sixteen days with temporary loss of memory."

The great storyteller Amna tried to cook up some stories to persuade the policeman into believing her as there was no way that they could let the beans spill out, especially when they had already come this far.

"May I know why did you go to Belgaum? What kind of accident?" His questions made her gulp the lump forming in her mouth and she slowly muttered, "I went to meet Ratnaprabha Aunty of Sabarmati Orphanage as I knew her from before. I was hit by a car and fell into the river"

"When did you get your memory back? Why did you not inform your Hospital where you worked that you are fine?", his unending questions continued and Amna had no idea where she was taking her impromptu story and finally fumbled.

But fortunately, Shreekant came to her rescue, "She got her memory back just recently and was going to inform the authorities soon but then all these rumors and the attack happened. You can cross-check from the hospital in Belgaum"

Hearing the whole fake story they had just narrated Amna thought, "The story looks fine and everything is falling in place, I hope this man believes us" Her mind was sending constant prayers to the heavens.

"I hope you got your answer and I think there is no need for her going anywhere"

The policeman frowned and asked, "Did you see the person who shot you? I mean, we need your statement regarding the whole incident. Did you see anything suspicious?"

Amna was about to say something but Shreekant clasped her wrist tightly, "I have no idea who shot at me."

"Okay then, till we catch the culprit I request you to stay a little careful, we will take your leave then"

After the cops left Anant looked at him and said in low pitched voice clenching his teeth, "Stop your idiotic behavior, someone tried to kill you, return to Mhatre Niwas as soon as possible"

"I will return only if Amna comes along with me", he replied confidently.

Anant fisted his palm, trying to control his anger, "I can't let this girl enter a single step inside my house"