37. BONUS CHAPTER V: WILL HIS DILEMMA RESOLVE?

With a clearly concerned voice and widened eyes, he uttered, "What happened Disha, tell me clearly? What about Amna?"

In an unclear voice as if she was about to break into tears she mumbled, "Sir, multiple new channels are telecasting that some relatives of a patient got into a brawl with the staff of the hospital where Amna works, after receiving the news of the death of the patient"

Inhaling aloud she continued, "A group of around eight to twelve people have damaged a lot of hospital property and injured four people of the emergency medicine department who were on duty, two of which are severely critical right now"

Interrupting her trembling voice he stammeringly asked, "Was Amna on duty today? Did you try calling her?"

"The last time she called me was when she left the engagement ceremony at around eight-thirty, roughly three hours ago. She informed me that a bus accident had happened involving more than twenty people and all ER doctors were summoned to the hospital immediately."

"Her phone is saying switched off for a long time. We are coming back to Mumbai, but it will take six or seven hours from here, I don't know what to do. Mom is still in Pandharpur looking after grandfather's health and I didn't want to bother her more with some unconfirmed news... I even tried calling the hospital help desk number but it's not working. I am really scared sir. Ravi is also out of town and the only person I could of think at this moment was you. Could you please..."

Before even she could complete her sentence, he replied in a mighty voice, "I am on my way to the hospital... She will be fine"

Flinging open the door of his room, he rushed out of his house in his car driving towards the hospital. It was a dark and cryptic moonless night with a very less number of stars shining. Outside the car, Mumbai was as illuminated, clamorous, and felicitous as it always was but inside, a tremendous raging storm was intensifying as his mind was engulfed in darkness.

As flashes of her being in pain, or injured came into his mind, he couldn't help his eyes swell up in tears. Whimpers of her soft painful moans were audible to his heart and it was distracting him from driving properly.

With his knuckles tightly placed over the steering wheel, he was scurrying through the traffic with all his might. His mind was constantly reminding him, "Nothing can happen to her... She is totally fine... It's not confirmed yet"

Honking the horns multiple times impatiently, he had started weeping silently thinking of the terrible condition she might be in. He tried his best to stay focused but disturbing thoughts kept roaring him from within, "What if she is? Why God why? Why all the time she has to undergo pain? Why her? She believes in all good, but bad happens to her only"

Sweat kept on trickling down from his brow while he kept driving at the highest speed allowed on the road. Fortunately for him, being past twelve already the traffic was really less still his hands were trembling and lips quivering in the fear of the unknown.

As he kept on glancing over the road, only one thought raced his mind, "I should reach the hospital soon as possible", he thought as he stepped on the accelerator.

Minutes later as he reached the hospital, he could see the visible chaos in front of the entrance as many journalists and cops had surrounded the area. He somehow managed to get without getting any sort of attention diverted towards himself.

Without wasting even a second, he rushed towards the reception in the waiting area and fell against the counter, and nervously asked, " Why are you people not picking calls? Is Dr. Amna Biswas among the people who have got injured?" He was falling short of breath.

The lady receptionist glanced up and frowned, "Sir, didn't you see the condition outside... These journalists are calling us and eating our heads. Shall we tend to the patients or answer the ridiculous questions? The management ordered us to not pick up any sort of calls at the moment. Wait for a second, I will check for the person..." The lady started going through her database.