2 - Mutation

Warnings: none

"Alright, folks, it's time!"

My eyes left the computer screen and caught sight of our head scientist, Dr. Marcos, standing in the front of the room. My eyebrows rose. It wasn't supposed to be ready for another day or two, it shouldn't be ready now! That wouldn't be safe!

Another one of my coworkers voiced my thoughts. "I thought it was supposed to be at least another day."

Dr. Marcos shook his head. "Nope, we're ahead of schedule and we're ready now! Be on the floor in five minutes! Jones!"

My face must've shown my surprise at my name being called, but Dr. Marcos didn't seem to notice. "I want you on stats, and be on standby to run some tests."

I nodded. I didn't hear the rest of the assignments, I was too absorbed in my thoughts. I was sure that there was no way it was time to run the experiment, but hardly anyone else seemed to take notice of this fact. After Dr. Marcos finished barking out assignments, he clapped his hands together.

"Five minutes to showtime, people!" And with that, he left the room.

We all looked around at each other, then decided we had no time to lose. I saved my progress on the data sheet I'd been working on and powered down my computer. Following behind everyone else, I entered the makeshift "locker room" and grabbed a lab coat and a pair of goggles.

"Stats and tests? Man, you sure are lucky," I heard a voice from behind me say. I turned to find my close friend and coworker Ted.

I shook my head and began to speak, but Ted cut me off. "C'mon, Darlene, I know you've been wanting those assignments for years."

I felt color rise in my cheeks. Ted was right, ever since I interned here five years prior, I'd wanted to do stats and tests during the experiments.

Ted grinned. "Let's hit the floor, shall we?"

I nodded. I grabbed a pair of blue latex gloves on the way out and slid them over my hands. Moments later, I was in the lab and face to face with a massive septic tank with a clear panel on one side.

It was showtime, indeed. A couple other experimenters ran around doing last minute checkups on equipment and the resident of the septic tank, which growled angrily. I walked towards the side with the plexiglass paneling, ready to start prepping. As I walked by, I looked briefly at the creature inside the tank. I'd seen it a couple times before, but it never failed to fascinate me. It was vaguely humanoid in shape, but it's limbs were much longer. I couldn't see its face very well, but I guessed it looked something like I imagined aliens to be like.

I looked away from the tank and began my prep work. Several minutes later, everyone was gathered and we began the experiment at Dr. Marcos' command.

Immediately, I noticed something was wrong. It was definitely too early to be running our tests, and the creature seemed to agree. Faint banging noises echoed from the inside of the tank. As I watched it's vitals, I grew increasingly concerned.

"Dr. Marcos?" I called out.

"Yes, Jones?"

"It's heartbeat is speeding up, and the conditions of the tank are getting worrying, sir."

"Never mind that, Jones. Keep moving forward as planned."

I hesitated, but followed his orders. I watched the creature as it continued to move in erratic circles, banging up against the tank every now and then and making me wince.

The vitals and conditions were only getting worse.

I noticed a bulge beginning to form on the creatures side. That most certainly wasn't supposed to happen...

"Sir, something's wrong with the creature, we should stop now and continue again at a later date," I ventured, noticing the concern on a couple other faces in the room.

"Nonsense, Jones. If you keep that up, I'll have you removed from the room and someone else can take your place."

I swallowed. This wasn't right...

It was only a matter of seconds before a horrifying shriek erupted from the tank. Now everyone looked concerned except Dr. Marcos.

A red light began flashing through the room, one that we had been told about many times but had yet to witness. It was a radiation alarm, set to go off when the radiation in the room reached potentially dangerous levels.

I looked around, hoping someone else would say something. No one spoke. I steeled myself and raised my voice over the increasing shrieks from the creature.

"Sir, I insist that we stop now! We're in danger, we need to stop the experiment right now or we could all die!"

"I've worked too long and hard to stop now, Jones! I need those results! And the unfounded worries of a simple lab assistant won't stop me from getting them!!!"

An alarm began to blare, creating an unholy symphony with the increasing shrieks of the creature and the incessant banging as it rammed into the side of the tank over and over.

Some people covered their ears and fled, some simply fled, some simply covered their ears, and some stayed put. I was torn for a brief second, but I knew I had to run when I began to see the creature write and noticed a fifth appendage that wasn't here before...

I backed away from my station slowly, eyes still fixed on the poor creature in the tank. It's mouth was open in a scream that pierced my ears and seemed to amplify the sound of the alarms. The fifth appendage swung around to the side of the tank and the metal creaked and groaned.

I gotta get out of here.

I left everything and turned and ran. Only Dr. Marcos and a handful of the other scientists were still in the room. Part of me wanted to run and grab them and scream at them to get out of here, run! But I knew my screams wouldn't be heard over the cacophony. So I ran.

I paused at the door, though I wasn't sure why. I took one last look at the tank and the creature. It's long, spindly fingers were pressed up against the plexiglass. It's face floated closer to the plexiglass and I saw it's face for the first time. It's eyes were unsettlingly like a person's eyes, and they seemed to be apologizing to me for what had happened and for what was about to happen.

It's eyes were the only thing I saw of it's face and the last thing I saw before the room exploded.

A/N: (these won't be every chapter I promise) So I meant to put this in yesterday's section, but I didn't, so thank you to radfoot, @AsteropeBlack , @RingRingCat , and @-thatonetheatrenerd for encouraging me to do this whole challenge! I don't know if I would've done it without you guys!!