13 - Harvest

Warning(s): none

"Hey, love?"

"Yes?"

"We gotta harvest those apples today, otherwise we'll lose them all."

Lucy smiled, still laying in bed. "You know that's my favorite."

Talia grinned, walked over, and kissed her girlfriend. "Then let's go. Put on your cutest dress and meet me on the front step in ten minutes."

Lucy felt a faint blush rise in her cheeks. "I'll be the one with the large, white sunhat."

Talia laughed and left the room, going downstairs to grab the baskets they'd need for picking their apples.

It truly was one of Lucy's favorite times of the year. The air smelled like autumn, the leaves were falling and painting the ground in wonderful shades of gold and orange and red, the breeze grew steadily cooler day by day, the sun went down sooner, and everything felt wonderful and beautiful. She especially loved picking apples with Talia, her girlfriend of seven years. They'd moved into a tiny cottage far from any other people four years prior, and they couldn't be happier.

Lucy got out of bed and hastily made it, resolving to come back later and tidy it up. She yawned and stretched, her bare feet shuffling through the carpet and carrying her to her wardrobe. She threw it open and began looking for her apple picking dress. She wore it every time they picked apples and frequently in the fall, but it never made an appearance during the other seasons. She grinned as she felt the familiar fabric on her fingertips and grabbed the dress. She went but the bathroom and quickly freshened up, slipping into the dress. With a giddy laugh, she twirled once, savoring the feeling of being back in one of her favorite dresses.

She began to make her way downstairs, grabbing her large, floppy white sun hat to protect herself from the sun's rays. It may have been fall, but Lucy burned incredibly easily. She preferred to not be sunburnt for the remainder of the week, thank you very much.

She opened the front door and immediately noticed Talia's grin. She knew Talia loved that dress, so she gave her a little twirl.

"You're so beautiful, Lucy," Talia said, kissing her on the cheek.

"Thank you, my darling." Once again, the blush had returned to Lucy's face.

She turned and closed the door, then faced Talia again.

"We ready?"

Talia held out a basket for Lucy. "Yes, ma'am."

Lucy grinned and took the basket, then looped her arm through Talia's.

"Let's go pick those apples!"

They set off arm in arm, Lucy relishing the feeling of the cool earth under her bare feet.

Several hours and baskets of apples later, they were back in their house, bustling around in the kitchen. Lucy had just begun to prep to wash the apples when she heard Talia turn the record player on. She turned, finding that Talia had already selected a record and put it on so sneakily that Lucy hadn't heard.

Talia held out her hand as the music began to play. "May I have this dance?"

Lucy smiled and took Talia's warm hand. "I would be honored."

And off they went. Or, at least so they imagined. Lucy wasn't the most graceful of dancers, and their kitchen was rather small. But they still swayed and spun and twirled to the music. Anyone who could have viewed the scene would've sensed their strong and passionate love for each other, even if they weren't in the room with them.

The two girls were lost in their own little world, giggling and smiling and exchanging quick, sweet kisses as the singers' voice drifted through the air and surrounded them until they heard nothing but the music. Nothing existed in that moment but them. Nothing else mattered in that moment but them.

As the song came to an end, Lucy rested her head on Talia's shoulder.

"I love you, my darling Lucy."

Lucy looked up at Talia. "I love you more, my beautiful Talia."

And the two kissed with a love so pure and kind that the kitchen itself seemed to melt away, leaving the two souls clinging to each other in the nothing.

A/N: what can I say, I'm a sucker for a wholesome romance