16 - Imposter

Warning(s): mild language, mentions of death/murder

"Another dead body report?!" Rachel asked, her eyes wide. "I thought..."

Gina rolled her eyes. "Guess you thought wrong."

The two abandoned their tasks with a sigh and jogged to the emergency meeting. It was the third dead body, and two of their crewmates had been voted out following the murders. By that rationale, there was only five of them left. And one was an imposter.

Yasmine had been murdered towards the beginning, and Patty was accused and voted out. But then Rachel found Ben's body. Becca was voted out, and they thought all their problems were resolved. But now there was another murder. They had to find the imposter, and quickly.

They arrived in the main area and found Carson, Blake, and Parker there. Oscar was nowhere to be found.

"Oscar's dead," Blake declared bluntly.

Rachel gasped. She'd actually liked Oscar, and had hoped he wouldn't be killed. Gina didn't indicate that she heard Blake.

"I found his body in the cafeteria," Blake continued.

"And here I was thinking we'd caught the damn perpetrator," Gina muttered.

"You guys know the drill," Blake said. "I think it was Parker."

"Me?!" Parker cried indignantly. "I was on my way electrical!"

"Yeah, but you don't ever report bodies, buddy," Carson pointed out. "You were between tasks, we're assuming. How do we know you're not the imposter?"

"How do we know you aren't, Carson?" Parker fired back. "Where were you when the body was reported?"

"I..." Carson paused. "I was...on my way to the med bay."

"Sure, sure," Parker said with a roll of his eyes.

"Uh, what about Rachel? How come you didn't find the body this time? Cuz you killed him and ran so you wouldn't get caught?" Carson demanded in an attempt to shift the blame.

"I was in electrical with Gina, she can testify!"

"She was indeed in there with me, she'd just started her task."

"How do we know she isn't covering for you, Rachel?"

"She's not!"

Blake spoke up. "How do we know Rachel isn't covering for Gina?"

Gina turned her fiery gaze on Blake. "Listen here, punk—"

"What about you, Blake?" Parker jumped in to prevent a fight from breaking out. "You haven't given an alibi yet. That's suspicious, buddy."

"I was on my way to the cafeteria when I found his body, wasn't that implied when I said I found him in the cafeteria?" Blake responded cooly. "Are you trying to use me as a scapegoat? It won't work, Parker, I know it was you."

"I last saw Parker in the cafeteria a couple minutes before the report," Rachel piped up.

Parker opened his mouth to protest, but Gina interrupted him. "Yeah, me too!"

"Now that you say it," Carson mused. "I do remember seeing him last in the cafeteria. Granted, it was a while before the report, but he was still in there. Oscar could've been dead for a couple minutes before Blake found him."

"Sounds like an excuse to me, Carson," Gina spat at him.

"It's not, I swear! I promise I'm telling the truth?"

"Okay, guys," Blake raised his voice over the cacophony. "We're running out of time, we have to vote. Cast your votes now, and make it snappy."

A screen rose from the table in front of every person. With suspicious glances around the table, they cast their votes. Once they had all locked in their votes, Blake projected the results onto a big screen behind him.

"One for Gina, one for Rachel, and three for Parker."

"No!" Parker shouted. "It wasn't me, I swear!"

"Sorry, pal," Blake said. "Looks like you got caught."

"NO!-"

And Parker was gone.

After a moment of silence, Blake spoke again. "Okay guys, get back to your tasks. I guess we'll see if Parker was really the imposter. Look alive."

Rachel, Gina, and Carson turned and left the room, the faintest aura of hope emanating from each of them. Blake also turned and left, but headed in the opposite direction. He grinned to himself and ran for the vents.

They'll never even see me coming.

A/N: Yes, an "Among Us" inspired prompt :) I've never actually played, but I want to! Thanks radfoot for helping give me a run down of how the game is played so I knew how to write it!

You are loved ❤️