5 - Wire

Warnings: none

"Ok, John, you know your mission. Try to get in and get out as quickly as possible. Don't screw this up."

John nodded. "You got it, boss."

"Good luck. You're gonna need it."

John said nothing to this biting remark. He knew he could do it, he'd been training for years and he was more than ready to handle the situation. He'd been itching to get out in the field and it was finally his day to shine. Instead, he simply nodded in acknowledgement and walked out.

He was set and ready to go, the only thing he needed to do was get to the location. Once outside the briefing room, he broke into a jog, passing several trainees and tech support staff. He was too impatient to take the elevator, so he swiped his ID card to open the door to the stairwell. A loud beep and a green light and he was off, taking the steps two at a time down to the garage.

Finally, this is my chance to prove myself to all those commanders who doubt me. I can do it, I've had the skill all along. I just had to be patient and wait for them to realize it.

Six years of waiting was a little excessive, he thought as he rolled his eyes.

But it didn't matter. Not anymore. Today was his day. And he would do anything and everything to make sure he succeeded. That was a promise.

He threw the door to the garage wide open, letting it bang loudly against the concrete wall. He ran to the vehicle he had pre-loaded and turned the key in the ignition. As the engine roared to life, John felt his adrenaline surge.

With a smirk, he threw the car in gear and pulled out of the garage.

It was go time.

He drove just above the speed limit; knowing very well he couldn't compete his mission if he got caught for speeding. Especially if they decided to search the car. He shuddered to think what would have to happen then.

Focus, John!

Twenty minutes later, he pulled into an alley a couple blocks down from the location. He shut the car off and took a deep breath. He tapped the small earpiece in his ear.

"Bane to base, do you read me? Over."

For a second, the car was silent except for his breathing.

"This is base to Bane, we read you loud and clear. Over."

John let out a sigh of relief.

"I'm in position and waiting for the signal. Over."

"Ten four. Over."

John unbuckled and turned his attention to the gear in the back seat. He grabbed everything he needed and double checked to make sure. He even triple checked, and then sat in silence once again as he waited for the signal.

"Base to Bane. Over."

"Copy, base. Over."

"Rock and roll. Over."

He grinned and threw the door open, shutting it with a loud thud behind him. He began to ascend the fire escape of the apartment building next to his target. He felt his mind began to wander, but he quickly brought his attention back to the mission. He couldn't afford to screw this up.

Before he knew it, he was standing at the top of the apartment building, level with the building he was going to infiltrate. He brought his breathing to  a steady beat, then ran and jumped to the other building. He landed in a roll and popped back up right away.

John felt a laugh begin to swell in his chest, but he forced it down. Instead, he ran to the roof stairwell door.

A voice in his ear spoke. "All clear. Over."

"Ten four. I'm going in. Over."

He entered the stairwell and made sure the door closed quietly, even though he knew no one was currently in the building, and tiptoed as fast as he could down the stairs. He reached the bottom floor door and paused, waiting for confirmation that it was clear.

"All clear. Over."

He opened the door and stuck his head out, making sure it was truly empty. When he was sues that it was, he went to the door directly across from him labeled "Closet". But John knew that sign was intentionally misleading. He pulled out the master key one of his colleagues managed to swipe and opened the door, closing it behind him.

I don't need to lock it, he thought to himself. No ones in the building, and won't be for two more hours.

The circuit boards lit up the room with an odd, rather eerie glow. He immediately found the aisle he was looking for and began to venture down it, pulling what looked like a bunch of tangled colored wires out of his bag.

He reached the circuit board and paused. This was it.

"I'm in. Starting to re-wire now. Over."

There was no reply, but John went ahead anyways. He figured since it was merely an update, they might not reply.

Just as he reached for the bundle of wires he was going to replace, the door burst open and flashlights illuminated the aisle he was in.

"Police! Hands up!"

John froze. And he realized what had happened. What he should've known was going to happen all along.

They'd set him up.

A/N: (this will be shorter than yesterday's I promise)

I normally don't write spy/espionage stuff like this, but I figured I'd try something new and expand my horizons a little. I hope it wasn't too bad haha.