12 - Cunning

Warning(s): mild language, implied mentions of torture

A bright light switched on somewhere overhead. I winced, having grown accustomed to the darkness.

"That was very rude of you, you know. I'd just started to get used to the darkness in here," I said, squinting my eyes shut.

"Shut up," a voice spat.

I somehow managed to raise my eyebrows while my eyes remained closed. Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, I thought, but I kept myself from saying it out loud.

I slowly eased my eyes open, hoping I wouldn't be totally blind. Everything had a white tint to it and things were still a little fuzzy. Damn. Oh well, I'd just have to work with what I had.

"So, when's the interrogation going to start?" I asked.

The figure standing across from me looked confused. Either that or he was intrigued by something behind me. I figured it was probably the first one.

"What?"

"When's the interrogation gonna start?" I asked again. "I know that's why you have me here. I mean, I'm tied down to a chair for gods sake. I'm ready whenever you are."

As my eyesight grew steadily clearer, I could see the confusion on the mans face more clearly, and the brief internal battle about my remarks.

"You've got me figured out, I'm afraid," he chuckled cooly. "Let's get on with it then."

I smirked.

"Why are you here inside our base, for starters?" The man asked.

"Wow, not messing around with anything, huh? Just straight to it," I laughed.

The man didn't move a muscle.

"Tough crowd."

"Answer my question, or we'll do this the hard way."

"If you insist... alright, you wanna know why I'm here? I'm here because... well I can't tell you. That would ruin my mission," I admitted.

He raised a single eyebrow. "Oh?"

I could see he was frustrated. "Listen, if we caught you at our base, you wouldn't tell us why you were there either. You really can't give me crap for something you'd be equally as guilty of if our roles were reversed."

"I suppose..."

"So next question, please, I don't have all day."

He looked like he just wanted to immediately do things "the hard way", but instead he calmed himself down enough to speak, though the anger was crystal clear.

"You're hiding something and I want to know what it is."

I scoffed. "What makes you think I'm going to tell you?"

He chuckled, the sound echoing menacingly in my head. "That's funny. Your sister said the same thing."

I felt my heart begin to race at the mention of my sister. Was she okay? Was she hurt? Did she actually tell him why we're here?

"You may think you're so cunning and clever, Lieutenant General, but I can see right through you," he said as he drew closer to me, every step more threatening than the last. "I will get an answer from you, even if I have to force it out of you. You can't lie to me forever, I'll find out, and when I do, I'll make you pay."

He spat the last word directly into my face. He was so close to me I was sure he could hear my heart pounding in my chest. I forced myself to swallow.

"Over my dead body," I growled.

He stepped back and stood straight again. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Very well. We'll do this the hard way. I'll be sure to send your sister your regards."

My eyes widened. "What did you do to her?"

He grinned evilly. "Nothing...yet."

As he walked away I struggled against my bonds and screamed, "DON'T YOU DARE LAY A FINGER ON HER!"

He turned back to me. "I'll be back. You're next."

And with that, he slammed the door.

I swore.

"Mak, we're in for it now..."

A/N: This ones for you radfoot ;) I hope you enjoyed this little tribute, and I hope you all enjoyed this section! I'm still behind, but I'll be caught up soon, don't worry!

You are loved ❤️