ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

CHAPTER EIGHTʜᴇsɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

CHAPTER EIGHT
ʜᴇsɪᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ

The next day, the snow had died down long enough to let the thick piled on the edges of the road dissolve into nothing more than a thin layer of slush. It was bad news for my car, which by the time I'd made it to school, was coughing and spluttering, even when parked.

I sighed, climbing out from the front seat, glancing across the car park from where I was at the back, thanks to my lateness. With the greyness of the sky and the matching monotone colours of the cold floor, everything blended in, but I spotted Bella's truck easily at the very front, a bright, dented orange coating, stark contrast from the greys and black metals it was parked next to. I could see her too, standing against it where I'd said I'd meet her, headphones in and a book in her hand. Wuthering heights again, no doubt. I smiled when I saw the cover.

But then my view of her was blocked: Tyler's van skipped forward. No one looked twice, but I could see him loosing control, the flash of fear and panic on his face as his hands gripped the wheel. I froze from where I was walking, still at the opposite end of the car park. The Cullens where across from me. And there was the van, heavy and uncontrolled, spinning toward Bella.

I'd hesitated. What if someone saw me? But the van was edging forward, Bella's head still stuck between the pages of her book- a simple mercy before she would be hit.

Without think any longer, I raced forward, leaving my bag by my spluttering car, hands ready to catch her and pull my friend from the line of the van. But as I kneeled by the wheel, seconds before it was due to hit, she'd already moved. Covered by the thick, black material of a vintage coat, Bella peaked out from behind Edward Cullen's arm, her eyes wide and dazed. And Edward himself looked up at me, head unfurling from where it was leaning against her neck.

He'd gotten there first.

While I was thankful that she was fine, almost untouched, and grateful to the fact that it wouldn't be me revealing my secret, I couldn't quite hide the fact that I was shocked at myself. Shocked at the fact that I had hesitated.

Bella heaved out a cough as I staggered back, crouching by the back of her truck. Shouts had begun to ring out, and I watched as Tyler lifted his head, a trickle of red streaming from his head. Blood. Red blood that I'd smelt before it'd even been spilt.

I'd hesitated to save Bella and I'd been too late. If Edward hadn't been there... I dreaded to think it. But even still, Edward had stared at me, his eyes narrowed and jaw set. He'd seen me; there was no other explanation for the luck that he'd given me.

"Don't move!" Someone shouted. "Someone get Tyler out of the van!"

I forced myself up, hurrying toward the space in which Bella and Edward was still tucked. I could hear them, whispering violently between them, Bella's hands gripped to his wrinkled shirt.