ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴛᴇɴ

CHAPTER TENᴛᴇsᴛᴇᴅ

CHAPTER TEN
ᴛᴇsᴛᴇᴅ

The next morning, Bella parked her truck as far away from the Cullens' silver Volvo as was physically possible. That didn't stop her from glancing that way as she fumbled for the door handle, keys swinging in her hand before slipping and landing in the narrow puddle that stretched between the car space and flooded grass. I sighed, watching from the passenger seat as she reached to pick it up.

Bella stumbled out of the way, slamming the door shut as a slender hand reached down before her, plucking the keys silently from the floor. Edward leaned against the side of the truck, dangling her keychain, dropping it into her hand as she demanded.

I rolled my eyes. It seems he wasn't being cautious anymore. It was clear that only moments before he'd been by his own car.

"How do you do that?" Bella exclaimed, tucking the keys back into her bag.

"Do what?"

Was he teasing her?

"Appear out of thin air!"

Edward chuckled. "Bella, it's not my fault if you are exceptionally un-observant."

His eyes slid my way, staring at me momentarily through the fogged glass until they skidded back to Bella, as if he'd never moved. I sighed, getting out of the car with as much noise as I could make.

"Why the traffic jam last night?" Bella snapped. "I thought you were supposed to be pretending I don't exist, not irritating me to death."

"That was for Tyler's sake, not mine. I had to give him his chance." He laughed again.

"You..." Bella trailed off, her mouth hanging open.

"And I'm not pretending you don't exist," Edward continued.

"So you are trying to irritate me to death? Since Tyler's van didn't do the job?"

I rounded the side of the van, hesitating as Edward's eyes flashed with anger, the dark flecks of his eyes pushing through the amber coverage, like a predator peaking through a leafy bush. He was frowning as he shook his head.

"Bella you are utterly absurd."

I cleared my throat. "I'm going to English," I said, before turning and walking straight away.

"Elide. I'll walk with you."

We tried to ignore the fact that Edward was jogging to catch up with us, but he was beside Bella within seconds. Rain had started to patter against the pavement, sticking to our clothes as we hurried to the classrooms.