Part 1: The Move

"Mom! I can't find the box with my flat iron in it!" I yelled to her, digging through boxes in the living room.
She came out of her room, rubbing her eyes. "Next time, when I say to label your boxes, maybe you'll listen to me."
I groaned. "Lisa, I don't need the attitude right now. I have to finish getting ready, or I'll miss my flight."
She ignored me and walked over to my luggage that was by the front door. She unzipped it and pulled out my flat iron. "I watched you put it in there yesterday."
I hugged her. "Thank you, mama."
She stopped me as I walked back to my room. "Bailey?"
I turned to look at her. "Don't call me Lisa."

As I sat at my vanity table, my phone rang. A text from Bryce.

Josh? Bryce had brought him home once, and I had the biggest crush on him

Josh? Bryce had brought him home once, and I had the biggest crush on him. He and Nessa were dating, and it broke my heart. What can you do though?

I finished my hair, putting my flat iron back into my suitcase and heading to my mom's room.
"Mama, I'm ready," I told her, standing in the doorway.
She looked up at me. "My other little baby is leaving me," she said, hugging me tightly.
We rode to the airport in silence. "Call me when you land. Listen to what your brother tells you. Be safe. Don't get into any trouble," she said as we pulled in. "I'm headed to the post office to start shipping your stuff out there. I love you, Bailey."
I hugged her again. "I love you, too, Mom."

After Bryce had missed two flights, I made it a habit to be extra early for my own flights. I sat for a few hours before I heard my favorite thing: "Flight 242 to LAX is now boarding."
As I got on the plane, I looked for my seat. I hoped I wasn't sat next to anyone too loud. On my last flight, I sat next to a baby that cried the entire time. When I found my row, I noticed that no one else was sitting there.
As the plane headed down the runway, I realized that I had the row to myself and settled in to take a nap.

Someone shook me awake. "Hi, honey. We've landed," the stewardess said sweetly. I thanked her and grabbed my carry-on, getting off the plane.
I turned my phone back on to five missed calls from Bryce. I knew I shouldn't ignore him, so I shot my mom a quick text before calling him back.

"Bailey! Where are you?" Bryce answered

"Baggage claim. Where are you?" I replied, annoyed at his already overbearing, brotherly tone.
"No, she's at the baggage claim. I don't know, man."
"Bryce! Can you maybe talk to me instead of Josh?" I asked.
Bryce laughed. "Chill out, Bails. Josh is coming to get you. I'm gonna go get the car."
Before I could protest, he hung up. "Fantastic," I mumbled, grabbing my suitcase.