Part 7: Date

"Oh," Nessa said softly. "I didn't realize that I wasn't going to be invited to girls' days anymore."
"Nessa, that's not it, and you know it," Mads said, putting her hand on Nessa's shoulder.
Nessa jerked away under her touch. "Bryce's sister is here now. You guys want to be friends with her, and since she doesn't like me, you guys don't either. I get it," she said, backing away slowly.
"We're literally shopping for her, right now, Nessa. That's the only reason that you weren't invited. No one is excluding you indefinitely. We love you even if you and Bailey don't get along," Amelie explained.
Nessa didn't seem to care. "I get it. Josh chose her over me, too. If she hadn't chosen Tayler, I would be completely alone." She turned and left the store before anyone could say another word.

Everyone was silent as we stood there, each of us trying to comprehend what had just happened. "Well, that was awkward," Addison said, walking towards a clothing rack. "Let's pretend that didn't happen for right now."
I was still flustered. What did Nessa mean, if I hadn't chosen Tayler? I only did anything with Tayler because Nessa was back with Josh. "Guys, I think I'm gonna take an Uber home. I'm not feeling so well, and I should probably rest before the date tonight."
Dixie hugged me, whispering in my ear. "I know you're thinking about what Nessa said. Don't let it stress you out."
After a chorus of goodbyes, I left the mall. When the Uber dropped me off at home, I found Josh and Nessa in the living room. He was holding her and rubbing her back gently as she cried. We made eye contact and he shrugged.
I opted to ignore the entire situation and headed upstairs to my room. My phone rang with a text from Tayler.

My heart skipped a beat

My heart skipped a beat. A few days ago, he was just another one of my brother's friends, and now, every mention of him gave me butterflies. We texted for a little while longer until he let me go to get ready.
I sat in front of my mirror, fluffing my hair. "What the hell am I supposed to do to it?" I asked myself out loud.
"It always looks really good in loose waves," a voice said from the doorway. I turned to see Nessa standing there. "I'm really sorry that I'm such a bitch," she apologized, sniffling. Her face was tear stained, and her nose was running.
I shrugged. "It happens, you know? I wasn't exactly nice either." I turned back to the mirror, beginning my makeup. I could feel Nessa staring at my back as I got to work. "Is there anything else I can help you with?" I asked, never looking back at her.
"No, sorry. I'm gonna go."

I was beyond confused, but I didn't have time to waste on analyzing whatever it was that just happened. As I put the finishing touches on my hair and makeup, Bryce came to the doorway. "Big date tonight, right?" he asked, putting his hands in his pockets as he leaned against the doorframe.
I nodded. "Yep. Tayler's gonna be here in an hour. I just have to change."
"Bailey," he said sternly. He only talked to me like that if I was in trouble, or if he really wanted to get my attention.
"Yes?" I asked, turning to face him.
"I want you to promise me that you'll be safe. Don't do anything that I wouldn't do. Make sure you call or text if you're not going to be coming home. It's a big, crazy city, and I want to make sure that you're safe."
I crossed the room, standing on my tiptoes to kiss his cheek. "I know that I never say it, but thank you for always looking out for me. Who knows what kinds of messes I would be in without you?"
Bryce chuckled. "Look at all the messes that you're in with me."