20; miyeon

tw // nightmares

miyeon wandered deeper and deeper into the seemingly endless garden, the sounds of various animals residing in the forest getting louder. the further she ventured, the thicker the trees became, blocking out the sun's rays.

she continued as if she was being pulled forwards on a string, stepping over roots and creatures who lay fearlessly in her path, not afraid of her.

after a while, the things she saw grew more and more out of the ordinary. the normally green foliage was growing in brighter and more unique colours, and fauna she had never seen before made themselves known by appearing from behind the trees, watching as she stumbled onwards with curious eyes.

the trees opened up into a clearing. a small river ran through it, and she saw beautiful, glowing plants blossoming in front of her.

in the middle of the clearing, there was a tree.

the tree was slightly smaller than all the others. it looked dull and boring compared to the other plants surrounding it, its leaves a plain shade of green. a few fruits hung off its branches, the fruits juicy and deliciously ripe. but miyeon noticed something that made it stand out from all the others.

on the tree, curled on its branches, was a snake.

the snake was coloured a striking emerald green with eyes as red as rubies that shone with malice. its movements were slow and lazy, but miyeon knew that it could strike faster than she could ever react.

her body disobeyed all of her rational thoughts and she strode towards the tree, her feet moving without her controlling them.

the snake locked its eyes on hers, its unblinking stare pulling her closer until she was directly in front of it.

you know you want it, it whispered in her mind. and you can have it. all the knowledge in the world. all the power you could possibly have. the only thing you have to do is take one bite of the fruit.

miyeon reached her hand out, grasping the fruit in the palm of her hand and ripping it from its stem.

take a bite, the snake tempted. just one little bite and the world is yours.

she lifted the fruit to her mouth and took a bite.

her lips burned when they came in contact with the fruit but she swallowed it nevertheless, the sweet taste taking over her tongue.

but it began to burn.

she looked down at the remainder of the fruit in her hand and almost threw up.

the perfect fruit had shrivelled up into a dried, rotten lump in her hand. all around her, the plants began to wither.

༻ ༒ ༺

"no... no, no, no!"

miyeon screamed, her eyes flying open.

she found herself sitting in her favourite place, leaning against a large tree. the sun was high in the sky, and multicoloured birds flew above her head.

"it was just a dream, miyeon, there's nothing to be afraid of. there isn't anything hiding in the garden."

she rubbed her eyes, regaining her regal confidence. she was already used to having nightmares plaguing her dreams every time she dared to close her eyes.

but this one felt so real...

miyeon brushed her thoughts away and spread her wings, flying above the trees and towards the exit. although she knew that it was just a dream, she couldn't settle her curiosity.