22; soyeon

tw // alcohol, mentions of blood, mentions of fire

taeyong handed a vial of a liquid that seemed to change colors every time she looked at it at soyeon. "drink this. otherwise, you will not be able to cross the borders of Hell into the land of nod."

soojin took a tiny sip of her drink and made a face, dropping the vial on the ground and watching it smash. "this is disgusting!"

he didn't even bat an eyelash at her outburst. with a wave of his arm, the glass pieces stuck themselves back together and flew back into soojin's hand, the liquid filling it once again.

"don't waste my potions, seo soojin."

soojin's eyes were wide, staring at him as if he had grown a second head. "how did you-"

"just drink it," soyeon ordered, tipping the contents in the vial into her mouth. the potion was cold and bitter, but she swallowed it down with ease.

"where's the bad taste soojin was talking about? this tastes fine," minnie wondered, quickly turning around when they heard the sound of glass shattering once again.

soyeon's eyes flew over to where soojin was standing. soojin was on the ground on her hands and knees, coughing and retching. her empty vial lay next to her in broken pieces scattered on the ground.

"it burns," she choked out, clawing at her throat. minnie gasped and knelt to help her while soyeon walked to stand next to taeyong, who was silently watching.

"your magic has improved."

taeyong inclined his head. "i didn't spend many years down here doing nothing, jeon soyeon."

so he still has the peculiar habit of addressing us by our full names, huh.

he hasn't changed at all.

"when will you get out of this dirt maze? we haven't seen you in forever."

he shook his head. "when i said that i rejected your offer, i meant it. i chose this place for me to stay in for the rest of eternity, jeon soyeon."

soyeon raised an eyebrow. "why? do you want to keep yuta company?"

"that is not my main reason. lee taemin comes down every now and then. besides, it is peaceful down here."

she forced a laugh. "peaceful, huh."

they were silent for a while, watching minnie try in vain to comfort soojin, who was gagging and convulsing on the finely carpeted floor. minnie screamed at taeyong.

"what did you do to her? make it stop!"

"the potion allows you to pass into Heaven. the land of nod is full of misleading paths, and the Heavenly blood that runs through your veins will lead you through the true way to Heaven."

"that doesn't explain anything! save her, please!" minnie begged, rubbing soojin's back soothingly as she coughed.

"the potion contains a small, concentrated amount of Holy Water. you were once one of Heaven's, and your body is resilient to it. seo soojin was not an angel at any point in time, so it is natural for her body to reject it, hence her reaction. if i were to make her well, minnie yontararak, she would not be able to accept the potion."

minnie looked at taeyong with teary eyes. "is there really nothing you can do?"

soyeon sighed. "he already said no once. just leave her, we'll get supplies and things we will need now."

"i won't leave her like this." minnie shook her head obstinately.

"fine. i will take jeon soyeon. do not move from this room."