四十二點五

"hey!" a voice called from the hallway. "seo yue!" the girl turned around at the sound of her name. yue watched as a familiar female approached her with a hostile gaze.

"yes?" the brunette quietly answered. the girl laughed.

"wah, acting weak? you really have changed," the raven-haired girl sneered. "you're so quiet now. why is that?" she asked, face getting closer to yue's. "do you not remember your friend?"

yue gulped. she knew her well. the tall girl in front of her was kang rina, an old classmate and friend from high school.

"i remember you, rina," yue said, trying to seem confident. the shorter knew rina well and that if she appeared vulnerable in front of her, she would be crushed.

"i can't believe you came here, yue. i thought after coming to this big school in the city, i would never have to see you again," she scoffed. "but here we are, talking before our next class."

"i don't want any trouble," yue said, making eye contact. the darker-haired girl chuckled..

"what happened in that one year there that has made you so small now? you used to just curse me out if i was pissing you off," rina said. she eyed yue, amused by her current appearance. "you really like to pretend to be an innocent little sheep, huh? i almost didn't believe it was you when i heard your name on the first day of class."

"you changed too, rina," the shorter responded, looking at her. "we're not high schoolers anymore." yue was trying her best to maintain a strong front.

"you're right, you're right," rina said dismissively. "i really thought sending in that photo of you would stir you up, but i guess not," she smirked, waiting for the other's response.

"of course it was you," yue said, not even fazed by her old friend's immature behavior.

"yeah and i thought i would get a more interesting reaction, but you're acting like nothing happened. it's so annoying," rina said, letting out an exaggerated yawn.

"why're you starting things up, rina?" yue questioned. 

"honestly, i was gonna leave you alone. i figured i wasted enough time with you in high school. and i've been trying to be more mature and not cause any problems, but then..." the taller looked at yue with a disgusted glare. "you just had to start hanging around sunbae, huh?"

the brunette almost laughed. yue knew rina had a crush on seokjin as well. they had known each other for years, it wasn't difficult for her to tell, but she never thought that her former friend would do something so petty as to go to a gossip page for help.

"what are you talking about?" yue asked, feigning curiousity.

"seokjin sunbae," rina spat. "you're just hanging around him because you can tell i like him right? you want to get back at me?" 

"kang rina," yue scoffed, a sudden harshness appearing in her voice that almost made the other girl flinch. "you really think i would do that?" the shorter wasn't upset that rina liked seokjin, she was upset because she dared to accuse yue's feelings of being so superficial.

"look, yue," rina said, composing herself again. "just stay away from sunbae and we won't have any problems." she crossed her arms and usually, yue would give in and agree to her words, wanting to avoid trouble, but this was different. this was about seokjin, her seokjin.

"no," yue snapped, to the other's surprise.

"what?" rina asked, unfolding her arms. "it's not that hard, yue. we could even be friends again if you just leave him alone and let me have him."

"i said no, rina," the shorter repeated. there were so many things she would let slip by with her former best friend, but this was not one of them. "you can do whatever you want, but i won't stay away from him."

the black-haired girl was almost impressed by yue's show of conviction.

"okay," rina shrugged. "fine, i'll do whatever i want, but just remember yue." she bent over to whisper in the other's ear. "i always get the guy." and with that the taller girl strutted away, leaving yue silently fuming.

her past friendship with rina had always had an interesting dynamic. they skipped classes together, went to the arcade together, and were basically attached by the hip. they appeared as close as could be, but in reality, they were always competing. yue beat her in academics, sports and arts, but rina always one-upped her in social affairs. she was the one that hosted parties and made friends with eccentric people. every time a guy thought about asking out yue, rina would step in to make sure he found her a little more alluring, and every time yue liked someone, she would end up finding their lips attached to rina's. so it was funny to yue that rina had accused her of being around seokjin because she wanted some kind of revenge. because yue's love for the male was so much more than that, and she knew that rina was a fool to underestimate her for it.