Separated

"Are you sure you must go Rhea? You know you can stay here if you like."

"I would love to, but I have to get back to the castle, my parents will be looking for me."

His face fell slightly as he nodded in response.

"I understand." He said, with a hint of disappointment in his voice.

I smiled at him as I heaved open his heavy front door. "Thank you again for saving me."

He smiled back at me. "No problem."

I grinned and stepped out into the cold night. I was about to pull the door closed behind me when Morpheus' voice spoke from behind me.

"Will I ever see you again?"

I stopped and turned back to face him. "You can count on it."

He beamed back at me as I slowly closed his front door and set off home under the blanket of the night.

It took me about half an hour to get back to the castle and my parents were all over me the second I walked through the front door.

"Where did you go? Why did you leave the castle? Do you have any idea how worried we have been?!" Their voices were high pitched and laced with fear.

I decided it would be easier to lie than explain what really happened to them, so I spun a story that I went for a walk and got lost in the woods, hence why I was gone for so long. I thought they would be suspicious but, much to my surprise, they drank it all in and accepted my story. I think they were just relieved I hadn't been seen by anyone who would send me to the human land where I technically belonged. They were still extremely annoying though, so despite me being 18 years old, they sent me to bed and made me swear I wouldn't ever leave the castle again.

Not that I stuck by this promise.

Once a month at midnight, I would sneak out to go and meet Morpheus. We would sit under the weeping willow in the woods and spend the night gazing up at the stars in the night sky.

Those nights were always so calm and peaceful.

But sadly, it wasn't to last.

On a fateful night we were, as usual, lying on the slightly damp grass at the weeping willow. The air was cold but Morpheus had brought us a blanket each and we were huddled under them as we stared up at the stars.

"Do you ever wonder if stars are the souls of the deceased?" Morpheus asked.

I propped myself up on one elbow and looked at him curiously. "I don't know, I've never really thought about it before."

"I think they are. I think the stars which shine brighter could be the souls of the newly deceased, and those that are a little duller could be the souls of those who died years ago."

I lay back down and studied the sky. "That's a beautiful theory, it would be truly amazing if you were right."

I sighed, my breath visible in the cold air.

"Everything okay Rhea?"

"Hmm? Oh yeah, everything's fine sorry."

He sat up and looked at me, not convinced. "Are you sure?"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I'm sorry, it's just we have been coming here for 2 years now you're normally really excited and talkative whereas tonight, I don't know, you just seem a bit down and subdued.

I sat up and looked into his concerned blue eyes. "Im sorry, I just wish I didn't have to stay in the castle, and that we could be together all of the time."

He smiled sadly. "Me too, but at least we can still see each other."

I shook my head. "I know, but I wish it could always be like this and we could buy a house, have a family and then grow old together."

"That would be amazing if we could, and you never know, one day maybe we will be able to."

A comfortable silence fell between us and all that could be heard was the rustling of the leaves in the night breeze.

"There's something I need to tell you." I blurted out before I even realised the words were coming out of my mouth.

The urgency in my voice made his eyes turn purple and alert. "What is it?" He asked gently.

"I'm -"

"GOTCHA!" I was cut off by a police officer grabbing my arm and dragging me up off the grass.

"I knew the guardians were hiding something, or rather someone. The rules are absolute, all humans born to wisps are sent to live with a human family."

I tried to wrench my arm free from his grasp but he was too strong.

"Let go of her!" Morpheus shouted desperately from behind me.

"Sorry, no can do."

"Where are you taking her?" He yelled, although the sadness in his croaky voice made it clear that he already knew.

"To the human land."